• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electricity bill

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electricity bill

Moved into a flat a few months ago and received bill for the qtr which seemed very high. There's just me n the missus & it's small 1 bed flat. We're not there during the day and use very little electricty, a few lights and the TV. Bill was £380 for the quarter & the energy company is EDF - does that seem excessively high?

Yes, it's very high - unless you're heating the house by leaving the oven door open.

You must have storage heaters. Even so it's still very high. Not been that cold has it?

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
      Moved into a flat a few months ago and received bill for the qtr which seemed very high. There's just me n the missus & it's small 1 bed flat. We're not there during the day and use very little electricty, a few lights and the TV. Bill was £380 for the quarter & the energy company is EDF - does that seem excessively high?
      Yes, seems really high. We had similar situation but with Scottish Power, I called them up and they ended up rebilling me for entire 18 month period in the flat.... turned out they owed me money! Give them a call and see what the story is...
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Is it an estimated bill?

Is it based on a reading from when you moved in - that's the most likely problem IMO.

Comment

Have you notcied a strange cable coming out of the window to the pikeys caravan in the field?

Comment

£100 a quarter for your circumstances is closer to the mark

Comment

Have got storage heaters, but they haven't been on since march. Phoned them up a while ago and they said meter was faulty, replaced it and then are re-billing us for the same amount. They have a pretty bad rep. just wanted an idea of what most other folk were paying.

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
                Have got storage heaters, but they haven't been on since march. Phoned them up a while ago and they said meter was faulty, replaced it and then are re-billing us for the same amount. They have a pretty bad rep. just wanted an idea of what most other folk were paying.
                Agree - £100 a quarter is about right, unless you've got any hydroponics going, you naughty man.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
                  Agree - £100 a quarter is about right, unless you've got any hydroponics going, you naughty man.

Comment

A while back I switched suppliers. The original company neglected to take a final meter reading and sent us an estimated bill - which I felt was high anyway. I sent them a letter indicating that its not possible for me to pay an estimated final reading and that they should have a meter reading for the end date and could they re-calculate the bill.

That was months ago and I haven't heard a thing. We were in debt to them about £180 and they haven't asked for it since.

The wife then promptly spent our 'bonus' on new shoes.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X