• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do Agencies rule your project?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Agencies rule your project?

OK let us put this to the test. Much of the whingeing that goes off on this site suggests that agencies are all powerful and control the decisions that hiring managers make with regards to the sort of contractors that they hire.

My own view is that we are just not that important.
    They are in complete control of my hiring decisions and I cant do anything about it
    0.00%
    I am forced to use them but if thety do not perform I shout
    14.29%
    They are in complete control yet I am very happy with the people they supply
    28.57%
    If they do not perform I will go outside
    28.57%
    I defy the PSL and use my own agency/direct supply
    28.57%
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    OK let us put this to the test. Much of the whingeing that goes off on this site suggests that agencies are all powerful and control the decisions that hiring managers make with regards to the sort of contractors that they hire.

My own view is that we are just not that important.
    Ok, so as a hiring manager that must stick to the PSL, who has control over what CV's are put forward to me?

Comment

They cause no trouble to my end client here. Some of the worse ones cause trouble for the contractors, but I've got myself a good agency.

Comment

I have to admit that I have come across 1 very good agency. Although a small outfit Fuel Recruitment were very good and, dare I say, honest...

There are probably more but the names escape me at the mo...

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
          I have to admit that I have come across 1 very good agency. Although a small outfit Fuel Recruitment were very good and, dare I say, honest...

There are probably more but the names escape me at the mo...
          Not called "DA enterprises" are they perchance?

If they are then I have allowed standards to slip
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Not called "DA enterprises" are they perchance?

If they are then I have allowed standards to slip

No, I would never trust an agency that had DA at the start.....

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
              Ok, so as a hiring manager that must stick to the PSL, who has control over what CV's are put forward to me?
              I agree totally. DA may be the shining exception, but 90% of the CVs that come my way are the first three that meet the criteria: I've even been in the position where I've asked someone to apply for a role that I know they can do through the PSL route and not seen his CV on my desk although I've have seen a dozen inferior ones.

The problem is that there are always too many applicants, and despite everyone's best efforts, good CVs will get lost in the noise. Secondly most agents don't know their contractors and don't actively sell them - although I've been approached for roles by agencies, it's always been on the back of a CV search rather than any knowledge that Malvolio is the right man for the job.

Dress it how you like, agences see contractors as a commodity, not a service provider.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                Dress it how you like, agences see contractors as a commodity, not a service provider.
                Not always, I have a large memory bank of my own of contractors that I have met over the years who I just know will do a good job. I also know that they will come to me if they have requirements. Anyway I am busy working on Churchill's requirements

Comment

Not always, I have a large memory bank of my own of contractors that I have met over the years who I just know will do a good job. I also know that they will come to me if they have requirements. Anyway I am busy working on Churchill's requirements

I have never met any of my pimps...I admit that one guy was killed in a hit and run but that ad nothing to do with my rate...honest!!!

Comment

I have never used an agency in the past to recruit, and will never use one in the future to recruit.

Saw how bad the whole experience is from being pimped by them........

Anyway, why use a middle man when you can open up your own jobswerve account and post your own adverts?

Comment

Working...
                    X