• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How can permies earn 6 figures nowdays?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can permies earn 6 figures nowdays?

I remember when I was a bit younger, I dropped this girl off at her house after a night out, it was MASSIVE, boat outside, two mercs in the drive, double garage etc, she said her dad earned around 150k a year, I asked what he did and she said he was a computer programmer. Anyway found out he worked on ATM software.

I thought wow luckily I'm in the game

But now, I get permie jobs sent to me for senior C++ positions in the financial industry and banks etc, and the wage is 55-65k.

I mean someone with 15 years + with C++ in financial should be on more than that no?

Anyway I know you can earn six figures as a contractor but how as a permie? Not that I want to be a permie I want to earn nine figures through my company lol

Am I deluded or did permies earn alot more back then (bear in mind Ive only been in the industry for 8 years)

Originally posted by dotnetter
    I remember when I was a bit younger, I dropped this girl off at her house after a night out, it was MASSIVE, boat outside, two mercs in the drive, double garage etc, she said her dad earned around 150k a year, I asked what he did and she said he was a computer programmer. Anyway found out he worked on ATM software.

I thought wow luckily I'm in the game

But now, I get permie jobs sent to me for senior C++ positions in the financial industry and banks etc, and the wage is 55-65k.

I mean someone with 15 years + with C++ in financial should be on more than that no?

Anyway I know you can earn six figures as a contractor but how as a permie? Not that I want to be a permie I want to earn nine figures through my company lol

Am I deluded or did permies earn alot more back then (bear in mind Ive only been in the industry for 8 years)
    I'm pretty certain real wages in IT were higher, relative to other professions in the 1980's & 1990's.
    The bubble burst around y2k /start of the dotcom era when the multinationals and big consultancies started to outsource on a big scale and started to persuade Governments, especially in the English speaking-world, to grant more work-permits, allow in more economic migration because of perceived skills shortage etc.

As always its supply and demand - increase supply of available personel then rates (permie and contract) drop over time relative to other jobs.

Comment

The value of labour has fallen in real terms throughout the world. In some cases it has has been compounded by an absolute fall too.

This is because fundamentally the world's population is mushrooming. Labour supply continues onward and upward.

The only answer is to make a transition into the capitalist class and become a rentier, but this is becoming increasingly hard because the value of money is declining.

Comment

she said her dad earned around 150k a year, I asked what he did and she said he was a computer programmer. Anyway found out he worked on ATM software.
        2 possibilities -
        1. Maybe she was just bluffing knowing that you were in IT
        OR
        2. Maybe he was bit more than a programmer. Senior IT guys in the investment banks earn quite a bit more than 65K. My last project manager (in my permy days) was a high flyer in the IT dept and earned about 80K (before bonus). He was a VP with about 8 years of work ex (in the same bank). I guess people with 10-15 years will earn more. But I am sure just a programming job will not fetch you so much.

Comment

The complete absence of new entrants into the IT field has increased the demand for work permits - lobbied by big business - which has dropped real wages. Those on work permits are often happy working for 20% less than what a native would work for.

Why the lack of recuits? IT is no longer a long-term job. Once you start to get to mid 40's you are undesirable. You have children, a nagging partner, other issues. You can't be relied upon to work long hours, weekends with no overtime pay. If sacked - you can't find new work.

Maybe in 20 years time when most of the current big batch of programmers who are mainly in their 40's retire and there's no one to take their place, will salaries be pressured to increase. Both to entice new recruits and to keep staff from retiring.

Just what I think anyway...for what its worth.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Just look at the level of most of the posts on this board.
            That should tell you why most IT people don't earn 6 figs.

HTH
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru

HTH

Comment

HTH
                I thought you had left???

Comment

Dev managers at most the banks I have worked at are on £80k - £100k, same for project managers, plus bonus and pension. £100k plus is for programme managers, £100k - £125k director level, with a max of £150k - £175k for CIO, but bonus at that level around £90 - £100k plus share options. I know this as I used to have to do all the payroll and bonus MI reporting in my permy days

Comment

HTH
                    Coming from a man who pays to be employed

Comment

Working...
                    X