• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents asking for current rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents asking for current rate

I know this has been asked before but I can't find the thread so apologies for the repeat.

Getting many agents asking me about my required rate - fine, I give that to them. But then they ask for my current rate... I refrain from divulging because what I'm asking for is quite a jump - due to change in location, high demand and the fact I think my current rate is undermarket (yea yea don't we all ) I tell them I'm not sure what relevance my current rate has...??

Any input from you guys?
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Quite simple he want to know what youd be happy working for, tell him your current rate if he really wants to know.

Weigh up the job details work out the lowest you would do the job for and stick to it. If he can't match it then walk away.

Comment

Thanks, I'm aware of that, I have a minimum rate in my mind etc. But would I be disadvantaged if I said I wanted £x and then said I'm currently on £x/2 ? I'm worried that they might think that if I'm only getting half my required rate now then I'm not worth £x...

The other question around this is would they ever know if I said I was on a higher current rate than I am? Obviously I'd rather not be dishonest tho..

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin
        Thanks, I'm aware of that, I have a minimum rate in my mind etc. But would I be disadvantaged if I said I wanted £x and then said I'm currently on £x/2 ? I'm worried that they might think that if I'm only getting half my required rate now then I'm not worth £x...

The other question around this is would they ever know if I said I was on a higher current rate than I am? Obviously I'd rather not be dishonest tho..
        I always say 20-30 quid more than im currently on, then when they try to get you down to your minimum rate you know you will be on a better rate anyway. and the pimp thinks he's got you at your min.

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetter
          I always say 20-30 quid more than im currently on, then when they try to get you down to your minimum rate you know you will be on a better rate anyway. and the pimp thinks he's got you at your min.

Yeah the pimp is not able to figure that out.

Comment

Figure what out?

I say a rate thats I want for the role if the agent comes back and says a lower one then I dont go for the role simple.

The rate would 9 times out of 10 be higher than the one I'm currently on depending on the role.

Comment

I give my day rate, if someone asked my current rate. I would say that's between me and my current agent. The same answer to the question where are you working now.
              I had an agent offering me half my day rate, I just laugh, only because I can last 6 - 8 without working. Money in the bank changes you attitude to a lot of things.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I think you're missing the point of my question dotnetter...

Say you want £500/day, and when the agent asks what you are currently on, and it is £250/day, would you perhaps feel that the agent might think:

'Blimey, that's a big jump - no chance!'

Would you instead blag it and say 'I'm on £450' or something?

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin
                  I know this has been asked before but I can't find the thread so apologies for the repeat.

Getting many agents asking me about my required rate - fine, I give that to them. But then they ask for my current rate... I refrain from divulging because what I'm asking for is quite a jump - due to change in location, high demand and the fact I think my current rate is undermarket (yea yea don't we all ) I tell them I'm not sure what relevance my current rate has...??

Any input from you guys?
                  You could say 'My current rate is £XXX per day but I'm not happy with it, which is why I'm talking to you'
                  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked
                    I give my day rate, if someone asked my current rate. I would say that's between me and my current agent. The same answer to the question where are you working now.
                    I had an agent offering me half my day rate, I just laugh, only because I can last 6 - 8 without working. Money in the bank changes you attitude to a lot of things.
                    Why don't you simply give any old rate..they're never going to find out anyways.

Say whatever you want, to enhance your case.

Don't be telling them some welfare rate...

(doh)

Comment

Working...
                    X