PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus recommendations?

mikesed
1st June 2003, 18:45
Hi Guys,

Having finally made the move from ME to XP, I need to upgrade my AV.

I have been using PC-Cillin 2000 for the last two years (free with my online Bank Account). However it does not run on XP.
They are offering an upgrade to PC-Cillin 2003 for Bank Customers at £14.99. Seems a good price. (Comes with a firewall as well, which I've never needed until I went XP. Started to get messages from complete strangers!.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions as to a good AV I should seek out? (Or maybe a package which includes AV?)

I looked at Norton recently, with Ghost and a few other add ons.

Any thoughts/advice/experiences!?

Cheers,

Mike

roger rabbit
2nd June 2003, 09:20
Being a cheap jock I use AVG antvirus from Grisoft and Zone Alarm firewall.

The essential quality of both being that they are free.

jacko
2nd June 2003, 11:26
Stay clear of McAffee.

Damn thing slowed down my PC with all the rubbish it installed (most of which I didn't want or need).

I'm very happy with Norton and sygate now.

Sysman
2nd June 2003, 14:26
This one was recommended to me by a TCP/IP expert, and it's free for personal / home use.

www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html (http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html)

mikesed
6th June 2003, 20:21
Thanks all.

I'm currently trying Kerio (very nice) and AVG (also nice).

Thanks for the advice

Cheers,

Mike

Incubus
7th June 2003, 10:15
I'm using the Norton Internet Security suite on my XP Pro laptop.

It was around £40 for the first year (includes firewall, AV, parental control and all kind of stuff like that). AV subscriptions for future years is below £20 I believe...

A word of advice - pop into PC World to buy it, rather than downloading. I had a few problems with that.

HTH,

Kev

ChevyChase
9th June 2003, 12:53
Word of good advice -never buy ANYTHING from PC world - they're a bunch of con-artists...

...trust me ;)

3wisemonkies
23rd June 2003, 14:55
Trend PC-Cillin gets my vote everytime. I still use it at home, however, my business has now expanded and we recently installed Trend corporate software (http://www.trendmicro.co.uk) ..dogs bollocks!!!:hat

RobAnt
25th June 2003, 14:22
I have been using PC-Cillin 2000 for the last two years (free with my online Bank Account). However it does not run on XP.

Errr - my copy does!

You got it from The Halifax, yes?

Runs fine on Home & Professional.

Still getting (almost) daily updates too, and I know it works fine, because I've never been infected.

Of course, part of that might be because I use a proper email system (Novell's GroupWise 6 - Part of Small Business Suite 6 (I am a CNS, so can give SBS 6 away for peanuts incidentally)), rather than Outlook - but I wouldn't like to put it to the test!