• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a car scam?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a car scam?

I'm selling my g/fs car so I thought I would advertise it in Loot. Got 2 phone calls the first day, both with foreign accents and they both were very very keen. It's only an M reg Honda Accord. The first guy said he was going to Manchester the next day and wanted to come down ASAP. I told him to come after work. The funny thing was he didn't ask anything about the car, nothing about it's condition.. very odd. Got home & my yahoo inbox had about 10 emails all re the car, all were dodgy e.g I can only pay you with a cashiers cheque. Quick google revealed this to be a common scam, they get the car, cheque clears, cheque cancels. Something like that. However I wasn't sure about the guy coming to look at the car, he hadn't mentioned anything about paying with a cheque, he could have been legit, but I phoned him back after reading emails and told him not to bother.

Maybe he was for real?

There doesn't seem to be a good way of handling the money when it comes to selling a car.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
      Maybe he was for real?

There doesn't seem to be a good way of handling the money when it comes to selling a car.
      When I sell my cars, I usually get cash from the guy from the breakers' yard. Works very nicely.

Comment

now you're telling porkies Gregory because these days you need to pay the guy at the scapper to take the car !

Milan.

Comment

or just park your car in the ghettos of north west london where i live and some one will kindly burn it or steal it for you.
          cut me - ill bleed rosso red

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
            now you're telling porkies Gregory because these days you need to pay the guy at the scapper to take the car !

Milan.
            Oh no you don't!

There is now value in the scrap. Off to China it goes...

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes

Milan.
              That is a vile slur. I was really surprised when my Clio died and they turned up in a tow truck and gave me £30. Needless to say I blew it all on crisps and fizzy drinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
                That is a vile slur. I was really surprised when my Clio died and they turned up in a tow truck and gave me £30. Needless to say I blew it all on crisps and fizzy drinks.
                I argued once and got £20 for the tyres. Normally if the scrappie will give you anything for it, it's not finished with yet. I had previously left this car unlocked with the keys in the ignition, to no avail.
                God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                  I argued once and got £20 for the tyres. Normally if the scrappie will give you anything for it, it's not finished with yet. I had previously left this car unlocked with the keys in the ignition, to no avail.
                  Yep it was uneconomical for me to repair, but good luck to him if he can get it going again.

Back on topic - if it's a substantial amount, won't a banker's draft work?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
                    Yep it was uneconomical for me to repair, but good luck to him if he can get it going again.

Back on topic - if it's a substantial amount, won't a banker's draft work?
                    Can't remember where, but I have read the suggestion that even cash isn't infallible: if he buys your car with cash that identifiably comes from the sale of something that wasn't his to sell, the cash wasn't his to give you, therefore it wasn't yours to receive, and it can be taken back from you, or even from where you spend it.

I don't believe it myself, but I read it on the internet......
                    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Working...
                    X