• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why aren't you in the PCG then?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why aren't you in the PCG then?

Not a silly question, genuine research!

Basically I need to understand why people don't see joining the PCG as the blindingly obvious thing to do that it clearly is ( ) and the best people to ask are the ones who aren't members. Aren't they?

Many thanks in advance for any serious answers and tee-hee to the funny ones...
    Blog? What blog...?

I guess it's the ones who don't run a Ltd Co that can't see any tangible benefit from this. PAYE'ers will be OK as they're paying HMRC 'suggested' taxation anyway, while the Loan/EBT etc group are no doubt unwelcome at the PCG.

Comment

i'm a permie!
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio

Basically I need to understand why people don't see joining the PCG as the blindingly obvious thing to do that it clearly is ( ) and the best people to ask are the ones who aren't members. Aren't they?

Well, I joined but I haven't got much out of it. What should I be looking for out of it? I already have PI, am inside IR35, and sign the agencies' contracts. I certainly don't have time to read their stuff for pleasure. Jury service insurance is nice though.

PS yes I know that this is not a direct answer to the question, but it's sort of why I didn't feel pressed to join for a while.
        God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

I'm using an umbrella at the moment as I have been for the last few years. The PCG doesn't offer anything that doesn't come included with the umbrella.

HOWEVER, I'm in the process of starting a Ltd so I will join in the next few weeks.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Because I had a hang-up with someone making so much money from its inception. I know things have changed subsequently but as far as I'm concerned the smell still lingers.

Also, I have an issue with an organisation that has the word "Professional" in the title but requires no qualifications other than a cheque book to join. I was a contractor for 20 years and not being a member hasn't harmed me.

Just my personal choice.

Comment

I'm up to renew next month but it isn't a forgone conclusion.

The biggest question is what does the PCG do? Apart from Arctic what have they done in the past year? AgencyWatch was mentioned then fell off the radar, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to "report" dodgy agencies etc etc.

Take away the insurance and it's not that attractive.

Comment

They have Spring as an affiliate - which when you see their behaviour in the latest IR35 loss (not having back to back contracts) http://www.contractoruk.com/news/003361.html - is unacceptable. The affiliation was also rushed through without a vote by members.

There is a virtual concensus amongst PCG members that iProfiles are inconvenient at best ranging to illegal at worst (breach the DPA). The PCG STILL has done absolutely nothing about the situation other than breath a load of hot air despite promises to the contrary.

The inclusion of Parasol as a recommended umbrella was conducted in an underhand manner, again with no vote by members, and also with suspicions of nepotism.
                Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

They wont let me join

which at least means they have some integrity
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                    They wont let me join

which at least means they have some integrity
                    Would you join any club or society that would have you as a member?

Comment

Working...
                    X