• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I earning too much money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I earning too much money?

I have always been one for spending my money on decent experiences; interesting holidays, 5* hotels, drinking large quantities of good quality alcohol, after all you only get the one life ; but I have never been one to waste my money. I have never been interested in gadgets / toys or even having a flash motor.

So I was reflecting today that I have recently taken to paying £3 to get my shoes polished by the shoe shine guy, rather than bothering to clean them myself. How lazy is that?

Back in my poor permie days I would never have dreamt of spending £3 on something that I could easily do myself but after two years of contracting I think I might be losing my perspective on the real world.

So, for the more experienced contractors, how does one keep one's feet on the ground?

How to keep feet on ground?

By getting married.

Getting married & having kids makes sure that they are firmly rooted
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I tell myself that earning this much is not a long-term likelihood and therefore I spend as little as possible for when times get hard. £3 on a shoe shine? The height of opulence without a care for what the future may hold!

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo
        So I was reflecting today that I have recently taken to paying £3 to get my shoes polished by the shoe shine guy, rather than bothering to clean them myself. How lazy is that?
        It's not being lazy. You're helping to keep the shoe-shine guy in business.

It's made round to go round!

Comment

chubba,

'I tell myself that earning this much is not a long-term likelihood and therefore I spend as little as possible for when times get hard.',

seconded.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
            chubba,

'I tell myself that earning this much is not a long-term likelihood and therefore I spend as little as possible for when times get hard.',

seconded.

Milan.
            Ok sunshine. Talking about spending money. Have you bought that Audi S8 yet?

Comment

thirded.

still, does he do a good job that shoeshiner?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo
                I have always been one for spending my money on decent experiences; interesting holidays, 5* hotels, drinking large quantities of good quality alcohol, after all you only get the one life ; but I have never been one to waste my money. I have never been interested in gadgets / toys or even having a flash motor.

Back in my poor permie days I would never have dreamt of spending £3 on something that I could easily do myself but after two years of contracting I think I might be losing my perspective on the real world.

So, for the more experienced contractors, how does one keep one's feet on the ground?
                Where do you get your shoes shined for £3? In the city? Bloke in Liverpool Street charges £4, but he's of Eastern European descent and doesn't speak very good English so maybe it's worth the extra £1 not to have to talk to anybody whilst getting a shoe shine.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Diver
                  How to keep feet on ground?

By getting married.

Getting married & having kids makes sure that they are firmly rooted
                  NO! NO! NO! NO! actually nothing wrong with marriage. its divorce which is a problem. and only one way to ensure you dont get divorced...

Comment

....is to not become a contractor?

Comment

Working...
                    X