• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents!

Had an interview last week. Wasn't sure about it due to location and money. Told the agent I'm quite interested I'd just like to speak to them and get a feel for the place. Interview was promptly arranged. Me being an idiot didn't insist in a telephone interview first.

So spent the best part of a day travelling and interviewing go offered it on the spot and decided to turn it down. Not my kind of place for the money offered.

Agents starts getting riled up on phone me afterwards clearly pee'd off that she had lost her commission! Look I said I wanted to speak to them. I did and they are not for me. I'm not going to take a job just to get you commission!

Couldn't they offer more money?

Comment

That is really unprofessional of you. How is he supposed to live now. That hair gel doesn't grow on trees you know. Why is it agents think that if you get offered a job that you will automatically take it? As you said, there are other factors to consider. Tell him to feck orf, or up the rate a huge percentage to compensate for the things you don't like.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

They are whingey little scamps aren't they?! That's the nature of your business you 'tard, if you don't like it get a real job!

I've had several cases of similar things happening, like turning down an interview because I had done some research on the company and the local rates... agent says "I've don't all this work to secure you an interview, and the job is even as good as in the bag for you, blah blah blah". Other agents have said that if I go for an interview and the post is offered that I should feel obliged to accept because of the work he has done.

This a pure observation from my experiences - female agents seem to be far more whingey and difficult to deal with than blokes.
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

"This a pure observation from my experiences - female agents seem to be far more whingey and difficult to deal with than blokes"

Nah that's just women in general. Never stop moaning - their Fairy liquid is always half empty
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin
            They are whingey little scamps aren't they?! That's the nature of your business you 'tard, if you don't like it get a real job!
            I was wondering the other day....how do people end up as recruitment consultants? It can't be a very attractive career to persue. Is is just one variant of a sales job which is neither better nor worse than any other? Or is it relatively well paid?

Comment

We negotiated a bit on money but we were too far apart. To be honest, I'm glad I went down because it was the kind of place I'd want extra money to work in not less. It was in a coastal town so they sold it as a break from the rat race, lovely environment, blah, blah... but it was just some shed in an industrial estate miles from town filled with 30 and 40 something blokes.

If it was in a nice town centre with a nice mixed work force ( women and men) with more young people and a fun atmosphere... then yeah we can talk money.

Thing is I don't want to cause agents hassle but I'm not going to take every job I go for... doesn't mean i'm not genuinely interested.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum
                Had an interview last week. Wasn't sure about it due to location and money. Told the agent I'm quite interested I'd just like to speak to them and get a feel for the place. Interview was promptly arranged. Me being an idiot didn't insist in a telephone interview first.

So spent the best part of a day travelling and interviewing go offered it on the spot and decided to turn it down. Not my kind of place for the money offered.

Agents starts getting riled up on phone me afterwards clearly pee'd off that she had lost her commission! Look I said I wanted to speak to them. I did and they are not for me. I'm not going to take a job just to get you commission!
                Tell her that you'll take the job, if she takes no commission from it.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've had an agent accuse me of being another recruiter for something similar to this!

They are so wrapped up in their own competitive mindset and us contractors get the brunt of it.

They don't realise that 9 time out of 10 contractors are just honest people trying to make a living, not out to scam or turn anyone over.

Comment

Working...
                  X