• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another shortage?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another shortage?

Skills shortage 'threat' to 2012

A shortage of skilled tradesmen could hinder progress on the Olympic building work, parliament has been warned.
    LibDem MP Don Foster said there was a "huge skills shortage" in electricians, plumbers and the building trades.

"Britain is facing a huge skills shortage that could undermine the success of the Olympics," he told MPs.

The government said the Games would be ready on time and addressing the skills shortage would be one of the 2012 Olympic legacies in east London.
    Bad news for skilled British tradesmen.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Another excuse to allow in millions of immigrants, whether or not they've got the relevant skills. This country is going to hell in a hand cart, or whatever the saying is.

Comment

excellent

this will be great for immigration

and we all know immigration is great for house prices

and we all know house prices are great for consumer confidence

and we all know consumer confidence is great for the economy

and we all know a great economy is good for jobs

which means, this skills shortage in the building trade is good for IT contractors

sorteeeeeeeeeeeeeed

you see lads, politics is easy.

Milan.

Comment

It all makes sense now.

Perhaps the cure for cancer is more immigration? Seems to fix all other ills.

Comment

immigration and .Net the perfect recipe for success

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
            excellent

this will be great for immigration

and we all know immigration is great for house prices

and we all know house prices are great for consumer confidence

and we all know consumer confidence is great for the economy

and we all know a great economy is good for jobs

which means, this skills shortage in the building trade is good for IT contractors

sorteeeeeeeeeeeeeed

you see lads, politics is easy.

Milan.
            What about social unrest, the huge burden on public services, language problems, etc, etc. It's not all about house prices (why is immigration good for house prices? I bet the price of houses near to centres of immigrant population haven't gone up). Or was your tongue firmly in your cheek?

Comment

Moose,

from where I sit outside the UK

I can see the bigger picture

and the bigger picture is:

Immigration is good for house prices because it puts pressure on the availability of housing

Pressure on the availability of housing keeps house prices high

High house prices keeps the British population content

A content British population is happy with their debt levels and happy to keep spending in their essentially service based economy

A spending British population is good for jobs everywhere and not just in Britain

On the other hand, if immigration were to be stopped and the pressure came ioff the housing stock and prices began to fall and house owners lost confidence in servicing their debts and consumers tightened their purses and stopped spending there would be the mother of recessions and a recession in the UK _will_ affect other economies in mainland Europe

and none of us no matter where we are want this scenario

I hope that helps, and now you will agree immigration is good for the uk

Milan.

Comment

Moose,

from where I sit outside the UK

I can see the bigger picture

and the bigger picture is:

Immigration is good for house prices because it puts pressure on the availability of housing

Pressure on the availability of housing keeps house prices high

High house prices keeps the British population content

A content British population is happy with their debt levels and happy to keep spending in their essentially service based economy

A spending British population is good for jobs everywhere and not just in Britain

On the other hand, if immigration were to be stopped and the pressure came ioff the housing stock and prices began to fall and house owners lost confidence in servicing their debts and consumers tightened their purses and stopped spending there would be the mother of recessions and a recession in the UK _will_ affect other economies in mainland Europe

and none of us no matter where we are want this scenario

I hope that helps, and now you will agree immigration is good for the uk

Milan.

How does that help if immigrants are not buying houses? What about immigrants that get council houses that the British taxpayer has to pay for but people that were born here can't get a house because the council have to meet "ethnic targets"?

Comment

ahh you see, now you are going into details

if you want to discuss the details I suggest you contact your local MP

do a search on google for his name, he should have a website, go to his website and click on the contact link and then phone or email him with your question

all the best

Milan.

Comment

...and now you will agree immigration is good for the uk
                    Absolutely not. Not at the current levels anyway. I'll reply more fully when I have a bit more time. Got some training to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X