• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting to draw a sallary mid year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting to draw a sallary mid year

Okay, I've been contracting for six months and finally have enough invoices paid to begin drawing a regular salary. Now I gather £5,225 is the most tax efficient amount to draw this year and still meet the minimum National Insurance contributions required to get a pension. However, given that we're in month 4 already, can I now take 5225/9 = £580 for each of the remaining months and still meet the NI criteria, or will the fact that NI is worked out on a weekly basis mean this won't get me enough NI to make a qualifying year?

Thanks, Tony.

Can't you back-date PAYE?

Comment

Originally posted by ittony
      Okay, I've been contracting for six months and finally have enough invoices paid to begin drawing a regular salary. Now I gather £5,225 is the most tax efficient amount to draw this year and still meet the minimum National Insurance contributions required to get a pension. However, given that we're in month 4 already, can I now take 5225/9 = £580 for each of the remaining months and still meet the NI criteria, or will the fact that NI is worked out on a weekly basis mean this won't get me enough NI to make a qualifying year?

Thanks, Tony.
      If you're a director NI is worked out per year on a cumulative basis.

So yes take £580 per month.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
        If you're a director NI is worked out per year on a cumulative basis.

So yes take £580 per month.
        Cheers Sock. So do I not pay the NI until the end of the year then? I thought I had to send them the money quarterly.

Also, do you know if I have to draw at least £5,225 precisely in order make up a qualifying NI year, or wouldn't it matter if the total came in at just under that? Or is there anything to be said for paying slightly over the optimum, in order to qualify for online filing incentives perhaps?

Cheers again, Tony.

Comment

You still pay monthly/quaterly you just calculate your NI on a cumulative scale if you are a director.

This means you pay no NI at the start of the year and more and more as you go on. Its to stop directors paying themselve £1 one week and £100,000 the week after as NI was supposed to be paid on reccuring payments.

I would pay over the £5225 limit. Read the threads about Nat Min wage vs. £5225.

My own opinion is that £5225 is to little to live on and unless you have large amounts of savings would make you draw dividends too often.

But thats another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
            You still pay monthly/quaterly you just calculate your NI on a cumulative scale if you are a director.

This means you pay no NI at the start of the year and more and more as you go on. Its to stop directors paying themselve £1 one week and £100,000 the week after as NI was supposed to be paid on reccuring payments.

I would pay over the £5225 limit. Read the threads about Nat Min wage vs. £5225.

My own opinion is that £5225 is to little to live on and unless you have large amounts of savings would make you draw dividends too often.

But thats another thread.
            Is that the only reason you'd pay more then, because I must say I'm firmly in the £5225 camp vis-a-vis IR35? I intend to pay dividends annually and live off the salary plus savings until then, not that I think it makes any difference whether you're living off savings, credit cards or last years dividend cheque whilst waiting for the next one.

Cheers again!
            Last edited by ittony; 26 July 2007, 01:15.

Comment

If you are drawing divs once a year that is fine.

It starts to look dodgy when you draw monthly dividends!

Comment

What was the issue with just paying the minimum wage? Is it kind of like the red rag thing?>

Comment

Originally posted by smee.again
                  What was the issue with just paying the minimum wage? Is it kind of like the red rag thing?>
                  It's a long running debate - some argue that you should pay yourself NMW, while others say pay the bare minimum.

Not sure what the regulations are about an NMW investigation (whether someone has to complain or not about not being paid, or whether you can get done without the need for a complaint), but that's what I pay.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Directors are expempt from having to pay NMW to themseleves.

Comment

Working...
                    X