• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hotel in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotel in London

Just got back from London after a couple of nights with the wife. The hotel we stayed at was nice, but I'm not happy about a couple of things. I booked it after trawling through Hotels.com. As my wife is still getting over the op, I wanted something nice and central. I picked a 4 star hotel just by Trafalger Square. The Hotel, The Grand at Trafalger Square is new. So new infact that parts of it are still being built. Parts such as the bar and restraunt. On the blurb from hotels.com it said 'guests can also relax in the lounge bar'. When we got there we were told that the bar is still being built. Also it says 'The hotel restaurant is not open until March 2007' Well it's well past that date and it was still being built. So in all I paid £300 for what amounts to a glorified TravelLodge. Yes the rooms were nice, but at 4* you expect a few other services also.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    Just got back from London after a couple of nights with the wife. The hotel we stayed at was nice, but I'm not happy about a couple of things. I booked it after trawling through Hotels.com. As my wife is still getting over the op, I wanted something nice and central. I picked a 4 star hotel just by Trafalger Square. The Hotel, The Grand at Trafalger Square is new. So new infact that parts of it are still being built. Parts such as the bar and restraunt. On the blurb from hotels.com it said 'guests can also relax in the lounge bar'. When we got there we were told that the bar is still being built. Also it says 'The hotel restaurant is not open until March 2007' Well it's well past that date and it was still being built. So in all I paid £300 for what amounts to a glorified TravelLodge. Yes the rooms were nice, but at 4* you expect a few other services also.
    If you paid the balance at the end of the stay you could have complained that is was not up to standard and the paid what you thought it was worth. They could then sue for the balance. As you have now paid there is little you can do. Trading standards are near useless

Always best to complain at the time.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
      4*
      That will teach you.
      Drivel is my speciality

Comment

I would stay there again as the location was spot on. But I will kick up a stink about the way it has been advertised, with the chain and hotels.com

What is wrong with 4*????
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

It's not 5 *

Comment

i've stayed at the Chruchill before, just off Oxford St and that was very nice. Was through an offer on lastminute.com for £100

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~
              i've stayed at the Chruchill before, just off Oxford St and that was very nice. Was through an offer on lastminute.com for £100
              Does it still have that cigar lounge? If I remember, there is a nice pub just down the street towards the Edgware Road.
              Drivel is my speciality

Comment

well it was about 2 years ago I went and it was still there then. I don't suppose it's there now, unless it was a non-smoking cigar lounge

Comment

well that'll teach you to believe what you read on the internet!

if it's any consolation, there are loads of fantastic bars and restaurants in that area and you'd have been better off going to one of them anyway.

Comment

Its no consolation to you now but I have learned the hard way that the ratings on any of these websites that you book accomodation through are not to be trusted.

When I started typing this I was going to say that you need to get an independant rating from someone like the AA.

However, looking at their rating criteria now which can be found here linky it looks like the standards are not as rigorous as they used to be.

Ok, it was ten years ago and my memory might be failing me but I am sure that when I looked these up before (in a book) then a hotel had to offer 24 hour room service to get 3 stars, a 4 star hotel would have to have to 24 hour front desk and a choice of restaurants.

It looks like the requirements are not as high today. Just about the same as everything else really.

Comment

Working...
                    X