• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

investment idea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

investment idea

i've got 100,000 saved up in pounds. i'm thinking of bunging it in my pension (along with the 60K thats already in there) and forgetting about it. then when i retire in 30 years i will be sorted won't i?

the problem i see is that all my money is with the one company. within the pension the money would be diversified but if the pension fund did a maxwell i'd be screwed

if this is a good idea, i could carry on p*ssing about well into my 40s and not have to worry about retirement.

is this a daft idea?

Originally posted by brownie74
    i've got 100,000 saved up in pounds. i'm thinking of bunging it in my pension (along with the 60K thats already in there) and forgetting about it. then when i retire in 30 years i will be sorted won't i?

the problem i see is that all my money is with the one company. within the pension the money would be diversified but if the pension fund did a maxwell i'd be screwed

if this is a good idea, i could carry on p*ssing about well into my 40s and not have to worry about retirement.

is this a daft idea?
    Piss it against the wall. Spend the whole lot on drugs, women and fine living. You may get hit by a bus a week from now.

Comment

done that for 15 years. boring

Comment

Invest in the property market, Buy to lease.
        Asset value will increase while you gain a second income.
        Just make sure that you don't buy on a floodplane
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

done that for 15 years. boring
          So, the only thing you're waiting for now is the bus?

Why not invest the money yourself instead of lining some fund managers wallet?

Comment

buses? naa, just wondering what to do. i just sold my house and did well off it. thinking of getting married and like the idea of locking my cash away in a pension incase it goes t*ts up and she wants "half of the house". up there for thinking, see. romantic.

Comment

x

Sounds smart. You'll get that compound interest working for you... and no temptation to spend. Put it in a SIPP if you want to choose the stocks yourself.

What if you get married and want a bigger house though, or to put your kids in private school. Maybe you'll want that 100k then... and if you family growing up in a crappy house, or going to a crappy school aren't things you can rewind back and change.... but 'crappy' is all relative and it hasn't done 90% of the population any harm.

So the downside is if anytime in the next 30 years you do want to lay your hands on 100k. Getting married and having kids is going to be the biggest cash drain of your life, whereas in retirement, assuming a mortgage is paid off and kids are gone you'll need less money.

Comment

buses? naa, just wondering what to do. i just sold my house and did well off it. thinking of getting married and like the idea of locking my cash away in a pension incase it goes t*ts up and she wants "half of the house". up there for thinking, see. romantic.
                Half of the pension...

Think very, very fecking carefully.

My ex-wife is loaded and still wants half of what I've got. The only people who're rubbing their hands together are the solicitors - bastards!

Not that I'm bitter of course.

If you get married say goodbye to your 100k. Failing that, if you want to "start again" spend the money on the wedding! 30k for the wedding. 30k for a couple of round the world tickets, 40k for a year off work. Sorted.

I would.

Comment

yeah but she'd have to stick around until i'm 65 to get half the pension - since you cant take the money out till then. which is cool. she'll have earned it by then

whereas with the house, she could decide to bail after 5 years and get half of my cash. thats not happening

if we both start from scratch its better - i can get a fair bit of cash together from contracting in the next 5 years for a decent house and lifestyle. she can chip in too

Comment

the compound interest factor is amazing. at 5% it would be worth 700,000 quid in 30 years - buy a 40 year annuity and thats 3500 quid a month at todays rates, until im 103! enough for anyone to live well.

Comment

Working...
                    X