• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the experts: Cat5, RJ45's and finishing the cables

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the experts: Cat5, RJ45's and finishing the cables

Morning All,

I know we've been on this subject before but there's a new question.

Following the advice here I bought a very nice rj45 connector crimping tool and a bag of rj45's, I have enough spare cable to do some practicing with and then I will put the rj45 connectors on the ends of the cables by the network switch.

But... now the question, where all the cables are, by the network switch they will need rj45 connectors and I can crimp those rj45 connectors on with the new crimping tool,

but...

what about the other end of all the cables, in all the rooms there are two cat5 bare cables hanging out of the wall

I just realised I won't be putting rj45's on these because these will be the sockets

well what do I do now,

can I buy the sockets (pin-outs as they seem to be called) as a whole unit and just push the cable in ?

or do I need to buy the female version of the rj45 and crimp that on but I can't find any for sale

what to do experts ?

Milan.

Hello mate,

you can get face plates that will fit into your wall, these have the rj45 sockets that will be colour coded for you to crimp to...... Maplins, RS, and all other electrical places sell them, you will need a punch down tool, but cheep ones are just a few pence.

HTH
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

I told you all this in your last thread on this subject.

CEF do a nice modular set which can take a number of variations from single through to multi board functions.
      Or you can just get the cat5 face plates.

You will still need the insertion tools.

Dont know why you bothered making your own cables. You can get any number at any length realy cheap on ebay.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

LG,

thanks for the info.

I am not making fly leads, the house is brand new, and is finishing being built, and before the walls were plastered I had the men run cat5 round the whole house, 2 cables to each room coming back to a central point - it is these cables that I now need to finish.

You said CEF do a nice kit, where can I buy that kit, anywhere online ? and what is CEF ?

Thanks,

Milan.

Comment

If you want to double up on the connections split them at either end using 1,2,3,6 & 4,5,7,8 it does complicate the installation a little but it's very handy if you suddenly find you need to plug in more equipment and you only have one cable plastered into the wall like I had.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
            Morning All,

I know we've been on this subject before but there's a new question.

Following the advice here I bought a very nice rj45 connector crimping tool and a bag of rj45's, I have enough spare cable to do some practicing with and then I will put the rj45 connectors on the ends of the cables by the network switch.

But... now the question, where all the cables are, by the network switch they will need rj45 connectors and I can crimp those rj45 connectors on with the new crimping tool,

but...

what about the other end of all the cables, in all the rooms there are two cat5 bare cables hanging out of the wall

I just realised I won't be putting rj45's on these because these will be the sockets

well what do I do now,

can I buy the sockets (pin-outs as they seem to be called) as a whole unit and just push the cable in ?

or do I need to buy the female version of the rj45 and crimp that on but I can't find any for sale

what to do experts ?

Milan.
            Couple of points:

1) As highlighted above, why are you not inserting these ends into a patch panel?

2) Answer to your question, as already mentioned, is a punch-down tool
            e.g. http://tinyurl.com/2rx4kh

3) Shouldn't this be in Technical?

Comment

LG,

thanks for the info.

I am not making fly leads, the house is brand new, and is finishing being built, and before the walls were plastered I had the men run cat5 round the whole house, 2 cables to each room coming back to a central point - it is these cables that I now need to finish.

You said CEF do a nice kit, where can I buy that kit, anywhere online ? and what is CEF ?

Thanks,

Milan.
              I know what you are doing.
              I dint say "a nice kit" they dont do a kit. I said it is "nice kit" as in good stuff (well I like it).

City Electrical Factors. You can find them on line on Google. They will have an outlet near you.
              There are cheaper places.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

try http://www.proteusswitchgear.co.uk/p...p?category=357

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Clipper,

if you read the thread before asking...

'Couple of points:

1) As highlighted above, why are you not inserting these ends into a patch panel?
                  '

because there ain't no ends on the bleeding cables because I need to put the ends onto the cables and then I can plug em into the patch panel or switch

ends = rj45 connectors by the way

LG, thanks I check their website. To confirm I have two choices for the rooms, to bye the female rj45s and crimp them or to buy complete face panels and ram the cat5 in with the special tool.

Milan.

Comment

Clipper,

if you read the thread before asking...

'Couple of points:

'

because there ain't no ends on the bleeding cables because I need to put the ends onto the cables and then I can plug em into the patch panel or switch

ends = rj45 connectors by the way

LG, thanks I check their website. To confirm I have two choices for the rooms, to bye the female rj45s and crimp them or to buy complete face panels and ram the cat5 in with the special tool.

Milan.
                    I will try and keep this simple.
                    For a neat finish in your room you need a socket (female part) for your flying leads to plug into.
                    This socket will come as a complete face plate or as part of a modular system that will clip into a face plate.
                    Either way the wires in the wall will need to be terminated to the back of the socket. This requires a special push tool.

You will also need a back box for the face plate to mount to. These are exactly the same as the back boxes on your power sockets.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Working...
                    X