• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This getting stuff down on paper lark

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This getting stuff down on paper lark

In you experience how many businesses actually spend lots of time diagramming software? To me, its more of a hinderance than an advantage.

Not enough

mm, a tricky one and not just because every project is different anyway.

I'd like to say 'not enough', because given infinite time and resources - and this is actually a good way to start off thinking about what you want from a project - you'd have the end user stakeholders and business BA's involved in identifying base requirements. Then technical designers and hybrid BA's to develop a very detailed technical spec - the kind that doesn't leave any scope for confusion in a Delhi-based development shop, or for gradual mission-creep - and maybe even a prototype before the first line of code is written. Those very few projects I've worked on that have been anything like this always deliver the best result, requiring near-zero maintenance after delivery.

It's only when such evils as budgets, politics, staff availability and agressive deadlines telescope all this down into a single blur that it becomes a disadvantage to invest a decent amount of time in the design.

So although I accept I'm never likely to spend more than 5% of my time working under my ideal scenario, and am familiar with the coping strategies to deal with real-world contracting, I'll always argue for lots of strategic preparation.

Comment

Working...
    X