• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lovely New Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely New Britain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6923987.stm

A man died when he and his son were pelted with sticks and stones as they played cricket, a court heard.

The Old Bailey heard the pair were attacked by a jeering mob made up of children aged between 10 and 13.

Ernest Norton, 67, was at Erith Leisure Centre in south-east London in February 2006 when he was hit on the head by a missile and suffered a heart attack.

Prosecutors said the five accused, who deny manslaughter and violent disorder, were jointly responsible for the death.

Fractured cheekbone

The court heard Mr Norton was playing cricket on an outdoor pitch with his 17-year-old son James when up to 15 youths gathered at the fence and began shouting abuse.

David Fisher QC, prosecuting, said: "As the abuse worsened, the group began throwing stones and pieces of wood at father and son.

"Ernest Norton was struck at least twice on the head by these missiles.

"One of the stones hit him on the left side of his face causing a fracture to his cheekbone."

He suffered a heart attack and, despite receiving medical attention at the scene, died later that afternoon.

Nice place to live.

And that's why I'm off to La Belle France as soon as.

Britain went irreversibly wonky about 10 years back.

Comment

France. Different to, but not necessarily a better place, than Britain. Just a different set of problems with a warmer climate.

If only improving your life was a matter of moving to a different country.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
        France. Different to, but not necessarily a better place, than Britain. Just a different set of problems with a warmer climate.

... but it is! Remember: French property is cheap, cheap, cheap. I'll be moving somewhere nice, not poo, on the proceeds of my modest drum.

And, I believe, the nastier parts of France are Paris (no-brainer), and the parts that most Brits have settled in - i.e. the parts nearest the UK. How odd.

Comment

So what is the solution?

It's un-likely things are going to improve with this downward spiral of dumbing down, increased gap between haves and have nots, immigration issues etc.

Fundamental problem seems to be a lack of community - there are elements of it still around e.g Coming together of people during the recent flodds but on a day to day basis it is missing.

Comment

Originally posted by richard-af
            ... but it is! Remember: French property is cheap, cheap, cheap. I'll be moving somewhere nice, not poo, on the proceeds of my modest drum.
            In which part of France is this nice place?

Comment

In which part of France is this nice place?
              Most of it! Really. Check it out online. Loire region, for instance, tres bon.

Comment

The best bit to live IMHO

languedoc-roussillon

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
                  So what is the solution?

It's un-likely things are going to improve with this downward spiral of dumbing down, increased gap between haves and have nots, immigration issues etc.

Fundamental problem seems to be a lack of community - there are elements of it still around e.g Coming together of people during the recent flodds but on a day to day basis it is missing.
                  France has a strong State (i.e enshrinement of the democratic point of view); holds dear privacy; has stronger community; does not have Southampton.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
                    Community is borne from people being dependent on each other and being forced to interact in order to live their daily lives. We are no longer dependent on each other, as the Internet, supermarkets and personal transport meet every need of our ongoing existence.

The only way we can restore community is to make a U-turn in the way we live back to the days when we forced to interact with our neighbours and community through necessity rather than choice. Sadly, with major corporations playing an increasingly larger part in our lives, I don't see this happening any time soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X