• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employment Agents... bad experiences?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment Agents... bad experiences?

Recently I was offered a job, which I accepted and had a start date setup for. A few days after I had accepted the first job I was offered another job which was paying twice as much... now I thought to myself, which would be in my best interest, and after a lot of thought I decided to tell the first agent that I did not wish to pursue the first job anymore. The only reason it required a lot of thought was because I felt bad since I had already accepted the first job.

So, I decided to get on the phone with the first agent and let him know what my decision was. After I had told him the bad news, he proceeded to put me down one of the worst guilt trips I have ever heard. Shortly after the guilt trip he proceeded to subtly insult me.

I just don't know what to say... this is the first time I've dealt with an agent like this. He was a rude and ignorant *****, and the only reason is probably cause he didn't get his 'commission'.

I was thinking about sending a complaint to his company and perhaps even the client, just so they know what kind of trash is representing them as far as recruitment goes. What do you guys think?

Anyone else have any bad experiences with employment agents? If so, please share.

Xil3

Originally posted by Xil3

Anyone else have any bad experiences with employment agents? If so, please share.

The question should be:

Anyone else have any Good experiences with employment agents? If so, please share.

Comment

Originally posted by Xil3
      Recently I was offered a job, which I accepted and had a start date setup for. A few days after I had accepted the first job I was offered another job which was paying twice as much... now I thought to myself, which would be in my best interest, and after a lot of thought I decided to tell the first agent that I did not wish to pursue the first job anymore. The only reason it required a lot of thought was because I felt bad since I had already accepted the first job.

So, I decided to get on the phone with the first agent and let him know what my decision was. After I had told him the bad news, he proceeded to put me down one of the worst guilt trips I have ever heard. Shortly after the guilt trip he proceeded to subtly insult me.

I just don't know what to say... this is the first time I've dealt with an agent like this. He was a rude and ignorant *****, and the only reason is probably cause he didn't get his 'commission'.

I was thinking about sending a complaint to his company and perhaps even the client, just so they know what kind of trash is representing them as far as recruitment goes. What do you guys think?

Xil3
      If I were the client or the agents boss I would be pleased with the agent for giving you a hard time, so if I were you I would keep my head down and slide off to your better paid job, unless you want a second helping of abuse.

Take it on the chin, you deserve it and you are getting off lightly. Typical hypocrisy though, having let the client down because you have been offered more money elsewhere and then having the gall to sneer at the agent for only being interested in his commission, is pathetic.

The agent is angry because he has let the client down and so have you. Although the commission is important (as you should understand perfectly having done what you have), it is the relationship with the client that is likely to be of greater concern to him.

I've got one today who has gone to ground and is due to start work tomorrow. My money is on him not turning up as there is no sign that he has resigned from his current job. at least you had the balls to call the agent.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown

The question should be:

Anyone else have any Good experiences with employment agents? If so, please share.
        And you are a self confessed scumbag who also has little integrity when it comes to honouring contracts.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

so you reneged on the deal, and you've got the gall to the customer rude? If you're going to deal dirty, expect dirty in return. Go ahead and complain: then they'll know you're a wimp as well as a cheat.

Comment

Xil: We have a hard enough time convincing our clients that we are not fly by night money grabbing shysters.
            You are not helping.
            If you give your word then stick to it.
            Failing to be professional and the fact you sold yourself so short suggests to me that you are not cut out to be a contractor.

You may feel that you are being harshly treated and you may have expected some sympathy. Sorry to disapoint.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

so you reneged on the deal, and you've got the gall to the customer rude? If you're going to deal dirty, expect dirty in return. Go ahead and complain: then they'll know you're a wimp as well as a cheat.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
                You already said that you fool.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Xil3 : I don't care what the others say, if you decided to go for the better offer before signing any contract then I think you did the right thing, I had many agents/companies playing me around backing out at the last minute, making promises and sending me job descriptions then when I turn up I find out the role is nothing like the one I applied for or was interviewed for, some terminating within a couple of weeks because of project changes, they look after their best interest first, and I think so should you - as a business man your word is important, but your company's interest is important too. As long as you have not signed any contract and did the honourable thing by calling them giving notice and explaining I think you did the right thing, business is business !!

Comment

he proceeded to put me down one of the worst guilt trips I have ever heard. Shortly after the guilt trip he proceeded to subtly insult me.
                    I wouldn't have let him get that far.

"I've told you what my decision is. Goodbye"
                    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Working...
                    X