• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market

What's the market status at the moment? am on the lookout for a new role, jobserve paints a bleak idea ... or is it just the usual August slow down??

Why do people ask "what the market is like"?

I've never understood what this tells you with such a generic question.

Surely it depends on your skills and chosen profession and your location (of work)?

And what if it is booming or dead? How does this help you?

Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      Why do people ask "what the market is like"?

I've never understood what this tells you with such a generic question.

Surely it depends on your skills and chosen profession and your location (of work)?

And what if it is booming or dead? How does this help you?

Just curious.

woow - keep yer hair on, contracting market may vary according to skills, but usually we can find similar trends across all specialities. Haven't been looking for the last 7 months, so just wondered about the market. Sue me !!

Comment

Calm down dear. Just asked what is means to know "the market is booming" or "the market is dead".

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          Calm down dear. Just asked what is means to know "the market is booming" or "the market is dead".
          market is booming== be selective, demand best rate

market is dead == take whatever one can get

HTH

Comment

For .NET 3.0, BizTalk and associated cutting edge MS stuff, I'd say booming big time.

Comment

For my sort of stuff (project management, commercial advice, public sector looniness), the market is booming, so can't complain

Just come off one assignment and had 3 interviews and 2 offers within a week. The agents I've dealt with have all been very bullish about the market (for which read, they didn't quibble over the rate).

Jobs watch suggests that the market overall is a bit, but not massively, better than the same period last year.

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/contrac...&id=0&lid=2618
              Plan A is located just about here.
              If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

all right for some!

I've been on t'bench 2 months. But I am outrageously selective and punching above my weight. And having somebody screen all calls to put off the unreconstructed bum-on-seat-merchants.

Comment

Aye - I know when things are going my way - had a spell last year when I couldn't find work in a pizza takeaway, let alone a real job. Just trying to put aside a nice chunk of cash while the going is good....
                  Plan A is located just about here.
                  If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Well, the market for white line inspectors is fairly good at the moment, if that's any help.

Comment

Working...
                    X