• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car for wife

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car for wife

Wife wants a replacement car. She like the idea of a convertible to catch some rain in.

Question. Does it make more sense to buy a very nearly new common persons car like a Ford or Vauxhall (e.g. Astra Twin Top) or a Merc SLK (new shape) or an even older Merc SL that's a few years old and probably has 50+K miles on the clock?

Does the intrinsic quality of a Merc or even a Porsche make up for the higher miles and age of the car?
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

and I thought you were going to tell us how you go tthe swap of a lifetime.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_
        Wife wants a replacement car. She like the idea of a convertible to catch some rain in.

Question. Does it make more sense to buy a very nearly new common persons car like a Ford or Vauxhall (e.g. Astra Twin Top) or a Merc SLK (new shape) or an even older Merc SL that's a few years old and probably has 50+K miles on the clock?

Does the intrinsic quality of a Merc or even a Porsche make up for the higher miles and age of the car?
        Definitely - they tend to age better.

Example
        Last edited by Clippy; 1 August 2007, 15:13.

Comment

I'd go for something second hand but still under warranty. Wouldn't go for an Astra, or something like that.

That being said I prefer my 9 year old A4 to a lot of the cheap new cars on the market, it has all the bells and whistles I need and i'll never have another car that doesn't have climate control (just dial in a temp and leave it forever, wonderful stuff)

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
            Not between about 1995 and 2005, they don't. Merc had huge QC problems after the Chrysler merger. The old 80s ones are bombproof. Google it.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy

Example
              The Chesil speedster is not a Porsche. It is a fibre glass kit car replica with a VW Beetle engine.

Comment

They might start making DeLoreans again. Not a soft-top and arguably one of the worst cars ever made, but I have a soft spot for them.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                  Not between about 1995 and 2005, they don't. Merc had huge QC problems after the Chrysler merger. The old 80s ones are bombproof. Google it.
                  Agreed.

I still think this plays on peoples minds when evaluating a new Merc today.

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  The Chesil speedster is not a Porsche. It is a fibre glass kit car replica with a VW Beetle engine.
                  Yes, noticed that after I posted but couldn't be arsed to amend it.
                  Still a classic design.

BTW, what's the name of the French company that makes replicas of Speedsters with all the latest technology in them? I think it begins with P (not Peugeot).
                  Last edited by Clippy; 1 August 2007, 15:32.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    Once they unload chrysler things should get better. Why did they even bother to merge a crap car company with a great one. Reminds one of BMW and Rover.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X