• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which is better?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is better?

A permie job paying 45k + banking benefits or a contract paying £30/hour?

PS What are banking benefits usually?

I see you're involved with Lotus Notes. In which case I'm not going to answer the question. Nothing personal, just that that software should have died a horrible death a long time ago...
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by notescontractor
      Not usually worth it now a days HTH
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
        I see you're involved with Lotus Notes. In which case I'm not going to answer the question. Nothing personal, just that that software should have died a horrible death a long time ago...
        It has some good points but overall, yeah it should have died!!! I do remember using Lotus Organiser though and quite liked that but it was a long time ago.
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
          I was a notes bod (guru level sad to say) in the mid-late nineties and it was a fantastic platform until it was left to rot post-IBM purchase. Oh, the interweb dodn't help its chances much either!

I bounced into Siebel thinking it would be gone in a year and it would be back to Notes before the next version - dead wrong but the biggest stroke of luck I ever had

NotesContractor - 45k for the oportunity to get away from Notes seems a good deal to me

Comment

i wont be getting away from Notes. Its a 3rd line Notes support role for an investment bank.
            Last edited by notescontractor; 2 August 2007, 08:27.

Comment

Permie job.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Do you see yourself retiring at this company? If so benefits count. Otherwise keep in mind that all you’re doing is renting them during the period you are with them. What have you done of your own back to ensure you can retire? Are you financially secure in the event of mishap etc.

When (if) you move to another company the benefits may be different or non existent. And they will cost a bugger load more as well if you need to do it yourself. If you go into contracting again you will need to set it up again.

Best you keep your ‘benefits’ handled by you and then look at the opportunity.

Oh and by the by if you were with the company for 40 years you would only usually get 2/3 finial salary equivalent in a pension. You would still need to make it up.

Look at the cash in hand, the additional (?) skills you would be getting, and career progression. Oh and office politics, distance from home, lifestyle also count.
                "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

It depends on so much that it is a difficult question to answer but purely on a financial basis, even taking into account permie financial perks such as employers pension contributions, and assuming similar time off contracting/permie holidays the contract is better, but not by that much.

If you value non-financial permie benefits such as continuity of earning and the possibility of flexible working then take the permanent job.

All things being equal, I would take the permie job, but it depends on your personal circumstances - if you've no family to support and fancy the variety, opportunity, lack of politics etc that contracting brings, then go for the contract.
                  Back at the coal face

Comment

i wont be getting away from Notes. Its a 3rd line Notes support role for an investment bank.
                    Don' worry - the opportunity to jump ship will be there if you want it enough

Comment

Working...
                    X