• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Candidate let down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Candidate let down

My permie who we had placed on contract did not turn up to his new job yesterday and it transpires (even though he has signed a contract) that he is still working for his old company. When we eventually managed to get hold of him he comes out with excuses about getting divorced. I always find that the bigger the excuse (death in the family) the less intention they have of honouring their contract.

There are number of interesting outcomes of all this with the biggest question being raised about the performance of my own agency. The job was offered 3 months ago and no one had spoken to this guy until they tried to get hold of him a week ago. Infact in the ensuing days he went to ground causing widespread panic inside "dodgy inc". I was furious that this candidate had not been contacted at least once a week in the lead up to his change of job.
    Eventually we had to ring the client on 31st of July the day before his start date to tell them that this candidate was unlikely to start. Sure enough he did not and the client is furious.

The first point is that it shows that the worst culprit in all this is ourselves and although the buck stops squarely with me, I have warned and demoted the individual in my company responsible. (after all I cannot sack myself).

The other outcomes are that the trust between ourselves and the client has been considerably diminished and we are fortunate enough to be a key supplier to the client.

From the point of view of the candidate himself, his behaviour is also rather pathetic, but the outcome is that he will never work for that client again (a client that is on his doorstep), or any other client of ours. A foolish act that may one day come back to haunt him.

There is no point in suing the scrote, but we at least can thank him for giving us an important lesson in candidate management.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Just one question.

WGAS?

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
      My permie who we had placed on contract did not turn up to his new job yesterday and it transpires (even though he has signed a contract) that he is still working for his old company. ...
      Commiserations, Dodgy. Really. When I give my word, I keep it. I expect others to do so too, and to treat me as someone who does.

I suppose you do have to babysit babies? I had never thought of that as part of the job description.
      God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        Just one question.

WGAS?

HTH

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

My permie who we had placed on contract did not turn up to his new job yesterday and it transpires (even though he has signed a contract) that he is still working for his old company. When we eventually managed to get hold of him he comes out with excuses about getting divorced. I always find that the bigger the excuse (death in the family) the less intention they have of honouring their contract.

There are number of interesting outcomes of all this with the biggest question being raised about the performance of my own agency. The job was offered 3 months ago and no one had spoken to this guy until they tried to get hold of him a week ago. Infact in the ensuing days he went to ground causing widespread panic inside "dodgy inc". I was furious that this candidate had not been contacted at least once a week in the lead up to his change of job.
          Eventually we had to ring the client on 31st of July the day before his start date to tell them that this candidate was unlikely to start. Sure enough he did not and the client is furious.

The first point is that it shows that the worst culprit in all this is ourselves and although the buck stops squarely with me, I have warned and demoted the individual in my company responsible. (after all I cannot sack myself).

The other outcomes are that the trust between ourselves and the client has been considerably diminished and we are fortunate enough to be a key supplier to the client.

From the point of view of the candidate himself, his behaviour is also rather pathetic, but the outcome is that he will never work for that client again (a client that is on his doorstep), or any other client of ours. A foolish act that may one day come back to haunt him.

There is no point in suing the scrote, but we at least can thank him for giving us an important lesson in candidate management.
          I've got sympathy...even if you are an agent

If he hasn't even got the courtesy to ring ya and say he's bottled it....that's pretty poor...I'd defo send the boys round...

Comment

I was furious that this candidate had not been contacted at least once a week in the lead up to his change of job.
            Steady on!! If I got 12 phone calls in the lead up to a new job everytime asking "Are you sure you're sure??" I think I would have gone a bit mad.

Perhaps once a month would have been prudent, but there was no guarantee that the guy would have told the truth...

Anyway, sorry to hear about your bad experience dodgy, hopefully this guy will sort his life out and you'll get another candidate and repair your relationship with the client in no time.
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Very big of you to look at your own co's side of things there, DA. Sounds like the guy was a waster anyway!!
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                Commiserations, Dodgy. Really. When I give my word, I keep it. I expect others to do so too, and to treat me as someone who does.

I suppose you do have to babysit babies? I had never thought of that as part of the job description.
                It happens a great deal in the permie market. The signs were there in the lead up and had I still been account manager (instead of being on this site ) then I would have picked them. There is a great deal of skill (Brought about by experience rather than innate talent) in recruitment a lot of which involves reading "the signs" as to whether a candidate is being true to his word. I like dealing with contractors because most of them are straightforward independent people. I generally loathe the stereotypical recruitment agent but I understand where they are coming from.
                I could throw toys out of the pram but there is no point. There is no point in berating the candidate either other than to make oneself feel better (like smacking a naughty child. It may not be good for the child but it certainly makes you feel better)

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin
                  Steady on!! If I got 12 phone calls in the lead up to a new job everytime asking "Are you sure you're sure??" I think I would have gone a bit mad.
                  There are all sorts of excuses you can make to contact them in the run up. Giving them information about their new employer. asking if they need car parking and then finding out how they intend to get to work (if they dont know/care then chances are they may be flakey). Do they need help with a ltd (if they havent thought about this then again flakey). It may be irritating but the skill is making it seem as though we/the client are genuinely excited about them starting and that we are interested in them. It is Janet and John customer service.

Comment

Don't pimps "cut their bitches" for this sort of thing?

Comment

Working...
                    X