• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Old Chestnuts: Political Correctness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Chestnuts: Political Correctness

Yes, I'm back on this subject again, my apologies - but I really do want to know what the consensus is here.

We've heard all sorts about PC, on and off the board, in lighthearted topics and seen it in action at our client sites (thankfully not having to get too involved).

Examples are numerous - swimming baths thread (XTC), public sector follies ('brainstorming' is taboo, apparently), The office Christmas card now 'happy holidays', no Union or St George flags during major sporting events in some places, the packaging of political intent within an untouchable 'religious' framework (See Islam, Catholicism etc), amusingly inappropriate schoolbooks, the list goes on... feel free to add your own examples...

Now, without getting xenophobic, racist or abusive, and hopefully preventing this thread from being seized by the agendas of ppl like CD or NG, what do you think of Political Correctness? Do you think it's a force for good? Have you seen it erode free speech? Is it Cultural Marxism? Will it work towards a happy conclusion?

Or do you feel like me, that there's something inherently insiduous about the whole thing, and that we waste a load of money trying to please everyone, which just can't be done, and you wonder where this is all going to end up. I have a feeling that, if we, as a society, walk into a PC conflict unprepared, we're laying ourselves open to a right-wing backlash which is presently in its infancy. I'd like to discover counter-arguments for PC that diffuse it, throw some light on its absurdity in extreme cases, and allow for the protection of individuals against harrassment while preserving common sense.

I know this is a huge issue, just want to generate some interesting (and reasonable, please, debate).

RH
    a force for good, I support it completely.
    2.56%
    a huge mistake, we've gone about this the wrong way.
    30.77%
    a bit of both. (please say what you think)
    10.26%
    social engineering, this is a control mechanism.
    41.03%
    I couldn't care less, not interested.
    15.38%

It's nothing to do with Marxism, PC was (like most things here) taken from the good ol' US of A
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

As soon as a new PC comes out you lot build an application for it

PC is not the problem it you lot who create reasons for the rest of ust to rely on them that are the problem
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Ah, yes.

The very people who brought the world the Salem Witch Trials...
        Yes, why couldn't everybody have them?

Comment

Where is the:

A fairly good idea when conceived/imported many years ago due to the need to 'protect and assist' minority groups from racist behaviour (subtle and overt) which has become a b*stardised version of itself and is now defunct'

option?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
            Where is the:

A fairly good idea when conceived/imported many years ago due to the need to 'protect and assist' minority groups from racist behaviour (subtle and overt) which has become a b*stardised version of itself and is now defunct'

option?
            I vote for that.

Comment

Cultural Marxism
              Marxists will say there's no such thing. Political correctness is a bully tactic used by the liberal elite to further the liberal and multicultural agenda. They want to make it taboo to challenge their agenda so use the language of good causes and guilt to make that reality, but equating it with Marxism is a stretch really.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicky G
                Marxists will say there's no such thing. Political correctness is a bully tactic used by the liberal elite to further the liberal and multicultural agenda. They want to make it taboo to challenge their agenda so use the language of good causes and guilt to make that reality, but equating it with Marxism is a stretch really.
                Sod it.

I give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicky G

I was right, then: "Conspiracy Theory" is based on you. Decent royalties?

Comment

Why is it conspiracy? Doesn't it stifle debate? Cloak your ideas so that they appeal to people's better nature and there's the risk of guilt and being ostracized from society when you challenge certain issues such as immigration, gay marriage and multiculturalism. It's peer pressure bullying at the state level.

Comment

Working...
                    X