• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boris watch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boris watch

Again he is spot on.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../02/do0201.xml
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    Yes. And such a complex issue, too: stealing bikes is bad.

Comment

Although I agree with the sentiment, I always struggle with these statements

"Wouldn't it be fine to hunt down the middlemen - often drug-dealers - who encourage kids to go on their nicking sprees?"

Maybe I'm missing the point but why do drug dealers need to engage in petty theft and flogging pirate DVDs at car boot sales? Surely drug dealing is profitable enough without the hassle of coercing an army of ASBO fodder into nicking some greenies grifter.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
        Although I agree with the sentiment, I always struggle with these statements

"Wouldn't it be fine to hunt down the middlemen - often drug-dealers - who encourage kids to go on their nicking sprees?"

Maybe I'm missing the point but why do drug dealers need to engage in petty theft and flogging pirate DVDs at car boot sales? Surely drug dealing is profitable enough without the hassle of coercing an army of ASBO fodder into nicking some greenies grifter.
        It's a basic Business tenet: You need the buyer to have the money! Hence nicking stuff. Or am I confused? I don't think the pusher is nicking DVDs; it's the clientele.

Comment

they nick the bikes to get money to pay the drug dealers for their weeks supply of drugs. I think.

Comment

No. The statement was that the middlemen were drug dealers (not takers) and that nicking bikes (or selling pirate DVDs in other articles) is part of organised crime.

Comment

No. The statement was that the middlemen were drug dealers (not takers) and that nicking bikes (or selling pirate DVDs in other articles) is part of organised crime.
              You have to laugh. Nicking bikes is now part of Organized Crime!

Comment

Originally posted by richard-af
                You have to laugh. Nicking bikes is now part of Organized Crime!
                That's my point. Why would you bother???

Sorry DA for taking this

Comment

That's my point. Why would you bother???

Sorry DA for taking this
                  No. I meant that's it sounds funny - Organized Crime & the humble push bike. Yet it raises millions. Not so funny.

Comment

We treat bike theft as though it were a kind of natural event, like catching a cold or succumbing to some other morally neutral phenomenon.

When someone's bicycle is stolen the discussion is entirely about what he or she could have done to prevent it. The police talk about the need for tougher locks, and special serial numbers, and the cycling experts give out various bits of anti-theft advice. Don't have a bike that's too flash, they say. Try painting it some depressing colour, like orange or purple. Try having a basket at the front, they say, or mudguards, or anything to make your bike look a bit grungy and unappealing.

All of which advice may be well meant, but somehow makes me pop with rage, because we seem continually to be ascribing responsibility for the event to the victim, and ignoring the critical point. It wasn't some supernatural agency that nicked your bike, or nicked my bike. It wasn't oompa-loompas or fairies or bike elves. It was thieves.

Nothing angers me more than those patronising adverts that imply having nice stuff on display "is asking for it" . yeah best assume everyone is a chunte and hide everything i own otherwise it's my fault
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X