• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pollywatch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pollywatch

just so you do not think that I aM a slavish Telegraph only reader, here is Polly continuing her class war against the rich and priviliged. As if the govt is going to spend money on alleviating poverty better than charities do

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists...129508,00.html
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    As if the govt is going to spend money on alleviating poverty better than charities do

Eh? Those charities that work to alleviate poverty should not have to exist, period. Those that assist donkeys with eating disorders, etc., yes, sure, that's a definite personal conscience thing.
    Last edited by richard-af; 2 August 2007, 13:35.

Comment

Sir Tom is not altogether typical: in Britain, the rich give a lower proportion of their wealth than others, with more donors in the north east than the south east, and more women than men.
      SallyAnne - is this true? Are you the most generous person in Britain?

Gordon Brown has encouraged giving with new tax breaks. If the rich tire of one of their homes, which has no doubt risen vastly in value, they can give it to charity and pay no capital gains tax. Ditto any shares they donate.
      Spot the new tax loophole. I can see rich people setting up their own charities for tax purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
        just so you do not think that I aM a slavish Telegraph only reader, here is Polly continuing her class war against the rich and priviliged. As if the govt is going to spend money on alleviating poverty better than charities do

I do hate her.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
          I do hate her.
          Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by PollyT
            the trust fund inheritance tax cheats
            - erm...is it illegal?? FFS...

Originally posted by fghj
            Tax avoidance may be legal, but it is still immoral
            - this sort of thing annoys me. El Gordo seems to be getting the avoidance = evasion message through. IT IS NOT THE SAME!!!! Grrr
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I wonder how much she donates.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

It is interesting with her that whenever she writes an article about anything her fanatical hatred of the rich shines through whether it bears any relevance to her point or not. The rich cannot win, even if they donate billions they will never donate enough until they become poorer than her (which is not poor at all).

She pins her colours to the moral high ground of pretending to be against poverty, but actually this is a facade that she uses as a platform from which to attack the rich.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Isn't she rich also? How much do you suppose she earns? It's not voluntary work over at the Guardian

I suppose it is ok for her to be rich, so long as she attacks the other rich people for being rich (like her)
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
                    Isn't she rich also? How much do you suppose she earns? It's not voluntary work over at the Guardian

I suppose it is ok for her to be rich, so long as she attacks the other rich people for being rich (like her)
                    Whoa there! Reality check! She's a hack, and, therefore, has a God-given right to slag-off, malign, mock, besmirch, ridicule, defame and generally rubbish the very things she does every day. Hacks: the slimiest smears ever swabbed from Satan's anal ring.

Comment

Working...
                    X