• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed on getting a conservatory

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed on getting a conservatory

Hi all, I would like some questions regarding conservatories.
    I am planning on doing one and my next door neighbour whos just had one fitted said it cost him about £11k from a high steet firm.
    He also told me that if he had gone into B&Q or Argos for the units and then have someone come in and build a similar contruction would have cost him about half of what he spen.

mmmm that got me thinking

considering you lot earn a fortune anyway i doubt that you will go the cheaper route, anyway here goes:-

1) How good are these B&Q/Argos conservaratory units compared to the high street ones , quality & price wise.
    2) same question goes for double glazings as well
    3) Anyone recommend a good builder of conservatory / double glazing around bexleyheath/Dartford area at all

css_jay99

Originally posted by css_jay99
    I am planning on doing one and my next door neighbour whos just had one fitted said it cost him about £11k from a high steet firm.
    He also told me that if he had gone into B&Q or Argos for the units and then have someone come in and build a similar contruction would have cost him about half of what he spen.

considering you lot earn a fortune anyway i doubt that you will go the cheaper route, anyway here goes:-

1) How good are these B&Q/Argos conservaratory units compared to the high street ones , quality & price wise.
    3) Anyone recommend a good builder of conservatory / double glazing around bexleyheath/Dartford area at all

css_jay99
    Get in Everest. Costs the Earth, but won't go yellow, leak, fall on your head, suffer condensation, etc.

Or buy crap for a few quid.

It's a part of your house - be careful! I speak from experience.

Comment

I've always liked David Cameron. Charming chap.

Comment

css_jay99
        It must have been a very big one for 11k. My parents just had one on a 4 bed detached, cost 7.5k, quality is top notch.

PS the B&Q ones are sh1te, plus you'll still need a brickie
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
          It must have been a very big one for 11k. My parents just had one on a 4 bed detached, cost 7.5k, quality is top notch.

PS the B&Q ones are sh1te, plus you'll still need a brickie
          And make sure you see and CHECK any insurance docs. any builder, brickie has.

Comment

If you want to do it cheaply, DIY. You are probably just as experianced as 60% of the guys that put them up for a living...

HTH

Comment

I've got a lovely hardwood conservatory from a reputable local joinery firm, double glazed with 5-ply polycarb roof. It cost about £7k plus a couple of thousand for the groundwork (dwarf wall, foundations).

The same firm did our windows (in hardwood) and they are far better looking and actually cheaper than the typical double-glazing firms plastic ones.
              It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

I've got one you can have, terrible glass box things they are. Always the wrong temperature, no good reason to sit in one (dining room use excepted) they look awful and deteriorate over time. There will be a massive number getting removed in the next 15 years I reckon. If you defo need the extra room - consider a proper sun room - mostly brick with tall windows and skylights.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg
                  I've got one you can have, terrible glass box things they are. Always the wrong temperature, no good reason to sit in one (dining room use excepted) they look awful and deteriorate over time. There will be a massive number getting removed in the next 15 years I reckon. If you defo need the extra room - consider a proper sun room - mostly brick with tall windows and skylights.

Good advice. Looks SO much better than a dirty white uPVC monster stuck on the brickwork.

Matching brickwork, skylights, tall windows and french doors. Class.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                    If you want to do it cheaply, DIY. You are probably just as experianced as 60% of the guys that put them up for a living...

HTH
                    I disagree, the groundwork/flooring and walls have to be done right or it will leak like a sieve.

My parents got theirs from these guys, they don't cover where you live but maybe if you contact them they can put you in touch with a good company in your area. They charged just under 8k for the victorian inclusive of flooring, walls, blinds, fans the lot. It might have cost 6k as a DIY, but then it would look 6k

www.planetpvc.co.uk
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 2 August 2007, 15:55.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X