• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jonathon Coleman - legend!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jonathon Coleman - legend!

He should be given a promotion!

JONATHON Coleman has been temporarily dumped by Channel 7's Sunrise program after "devastating" young viewers by revealing the ending of Harry Potter.

In one of television's meanest acts, the former comedian ruined the mystery for thousands of young children and adults who are yet to finish J.K Rowling's final tome Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Coleman's unfunny joke caused a Sunrise email "meltdown" with viewers also jamming the Seven switchboard describing him as "pathetic", "unprofessional", "incompetent", "selfish" and "a twit".

As hosts Mel and Kochie commented how "unbelievable" it was that a school teacher in the UK revealed the ending to her students, Coleman took the opportunity to do the same thing to more than half a million Sunrise viewers across Australia.

Stumbling to recover, he said: "I didn't want to ruin it. I didn't want the kids to be upset.

"Anyway I'll be going now," he added.

Clearly disgusted, Kochie replied: "And you may not be coming back."

Coleman then tried to justify himself by yelling from backstage: "The kids would be in school by now."

The time was 7.45am.

Following a torrent of emails from readers, executive producer Adam Boland said he was forced to suspend him immediately.

"This morning's comments by Jono on Harry Potter were unacceptable to Sunrise," Boland said.

"Jono sincerely regrets his actions and points out he hasn't read the final book.

"In any event, we feel we have no choice but to suspend Jono from the program."

Coleman hosted a weekly segment called London Calling for the program for two years until returning to his homeland at Christmas, when he took up the film review gig on the show.

Following his apology, viewers will tomorrow decide whether he stays or goes with an SMS poll deciding his fate.

Coleman said while he would apologise to viewers, he did nothing wrong.

"It was a joke. I haven't read the book. I didn't reveal the ending. I don't know what happens at the end," he said.

And he was confident he would keep his job once viewers heard his excuse.

"As far as I'm concerned I'm not fired, I'm suspended and if the 30 or 40 emails I have received this afternoon mean anything I think people knew it was a joke and I'm sure I'll be reinstated," he added.

"People know me as a funny guy. I'm Jono Coleman the funny movie reviewer. I'm not Richard Wilkins doing a serious review

Jonathan Coleman - inexplicably employed, useless, unfunny, greasy, antipodean bum rag.

Comment

Originally posted by richard-af
      Jonathan Coleman - inexplicably employed, useless, unfunny, greasy, antipodean bum rag.
      Yup, but you have to give him credit for that little stunt.

Comment

Why?

He ruined a book that loads of kids want to read by being an arse and probably made hundreds cry.

Is making kids cry something to be appluaded these days ?

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
          Yup, but you have to give him credit for that little stunt.
          Hmmm... just a blatent and obvious attempt to draw attention to himself, which, sadly, is now a tried-and-tested, surefire way to pep-up a flagging career in the Meeja. The toad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
            Why?

He ruined a book that loads of kids want to read by being an arse and probably made hundreds cry.

Er are you ok? It's a joke, relax.

Comment

Why?

Seconded.

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
                Er are you ok? It's a joke, relax.
                I'm sure hundreds of Aussie kids didn't think so.

Comment

You lot clearly haven't got much to worry about if some aussie git spoils a crap and boring childrens book, and suddenly you are "outraged from Cheltenham".

Get a life people!

Comment

I'm sure hundreds of Aussie kids didn't think so.
                    How can you be sure? You're not Australian, you are not a kid and you've not ready Harry Potter. So you are hardly in a position to determine how they might be thinking.

Comment

Working...
                    X