PDA

View Full Version : Central heating

chicane
2nd August 2007, 19:22
I'm torn between getting a local non-Corgi registered geezer (mate of a mate) to install it (£2300) or British Gas (~£4000+). Don't want to phone up random plumbers in the Yellow Pages for fear of getting ripped off. This is for our 2 bed rental property.

Any words of wisdom much appreciated.

fzbucks
2nd August 2007, 19:42
I'm torn between getting a local non-Corgi registered geezer (mate of a mate) to install it (£2300) or British Gas (~£4000+). Don't want to phone up random plumbers in the Yellow Pages for fear of getting ripped off. This is for our 2 bed rental property.

If you're going to get a non corgi registered bloke to do it you might as well give it a go yourself and just gaffer tape it in there!

EDIT: Just read the thread below re conservatories :smile

King Cnvt
2nd August 2007, 20:02

I managed to get about £500 of my British Gas quote by being very pushy on discounts etc.

TheFaQQer
2nd August 2007, 20:24
Ask friends / neighbours if they know anyone who can do the job and is registered.

I'd steer clear of a non-registered installation - it could impact you when you come to sell up, not to mention gassing you to death :wink

richard-af
2nd August 2007, 20:41
If you're going to get a non corgi registered bloke to do it you might as well give it a go yourself and just gaffer tape it in there!

EDIT: Just read the thread below re conservatories :smile

And invest in a decent Funeral Plan.

MrsGoof
2nd August 2007, 20:53
when I had mine done I used the people that BG sub it out to,saved £1800, in the Bg price.

chicane
2nd August 2007, 21:13
I managed to get about £500 of my British Gas quote by being very pushy on discounts etc.

Thanks - I'll give that a try when they come around to "survey the property".

Ask friends / neighbours if they know anyone who can do the job and is registered.

Already been down that avenue - sadly it seems that people only know "geezers" around here. Reliable and reasonably priced Corgi registered plumbers are like rocking horse sh*t around here it seems.

when I had mine done I used the people that BG sub it out to,saved £1800, in the Bg price.

Funnily enough, I quizzed the guy I spoke to this evening whether a BG installation would be done by BG employees or contractors. I was assured it would be done by employees. Bizarrely, this was shortly before the BG guy told me he couldn't talk for any longer because he had to go and put his baby to bed.

How did you find out who BG sub their installation work to?

meridian
2nd August 2007, 22:06
If it's a rental, doesn't it need to be Corgi registered?

Ah, here we are http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/gas_safety.htm

Gas Safety for Landlords and Property Agents

Key Points:
Landlords are responsible in law for their tenant's safety.
Annual gas Safety checks are a legal requirement - failure to do this can result in heavy fines or even imprisonment.
In the case of residential properties, landlords (or their agents) have a statutory duty to arrange annual Gas Safety Checks by a registered CORGI installer.

Don't be such a tight arse, if you're going to take on the responsibility of renting a property out then don't play with your tenants' lives. :spank:

vetran
2nd August 2007, 22:11
Not something you mess about with. A man must know his limitations. Get a Corgi man.

King Cnvt
2nd August 2007, 22:40
If your tenants wake up dead one day, you are going to be in a spot of bother.

Pay British Gas and then put their rent up.

fzbucks
2nd August 2007, 22:48

Put it in yourself then take the batteries out of the carbon monoxide detector :wink

oraclesmith
2nd August 2007, 22:59
So that's the choice you've given yourself, eh ? ; some guy who isn't qualified versus rip-off British Gas. What kind of businessman are you ?

Here is my advice, for what it's worth :-

- Get recommendations from friends, neighbours, other landlords, whoever - for properly qualified plumbers. Some claim to be registered and aren't but you can easily check with Corgi. If you're renting then you get seriously done by not following the law on gas fitting.

- If you want to save money, then get your mate to run all the water pipework and fit the rads. You can shop around for the boiler and rads yourself and maybe get some kind of discount if it's an energy efficient one.

- Get your Corgi gas plumber to just fit the boiler.

Sysman
3rd August 2007, 06:00
Going back 20 years here, but when I got a quote from British Gas, they sent a (crap) salesman around first. Then the contractor came around for a proper technical survey.

Comparing quotes with the others, British Gas had simply added their percentage and used a contractor. If I remember correctly, BG's quote was 25% or so more than the others. I chose another company, and they did last long enough to do some work under warranty.

OTOH, when I later wanted a gas wall heater for my home office, British Gas were doing a free fitting offer, so beat everyone else easily (there was a very thick wall to knock through).

As it happened, I knew the contractor they sent (we used to share the same local) and he was good at his job, so when it came to moving the oven, I used him. Cash job, of course, and he bought me a couple of beers out of it too.

chicane
3rd August 2007, 08:15
- Get recommendations from friends, neighbours, other landlords, whoever - for properly qualified plumbers. Some claim to be registered and aren't but you can easily check with Corgi. If you're renting then you get seriously done by not following the law on gas fitting.

Amazing as this sounds, nobody seems to be able to recommend a real Corgi plumber with a demonstratable track record, although most people have a "mate who does a bit of plumbing on the side". I'm seriously tearing my hear out wondering why it has to be so difficult - which has brought about the "geezer" vs British Gas predicament in the first place.

DimPrawn
3rd August 2007, 08:19
It all comes down to accountability if something goes wrong.

What is better in front of a judge?

"I paid Wayne the unemployed odd job man down the road to install the Gas Boiler"

"I paid British Gas and here are the Corgi certs proving it was fitted by a competent and qualified gas engineer"

No brainer.

Chugnut
3rd August 2007, 08:22
Amazing as this sounds, nobody seems to be able to recommend a real Corgi plumber with a demonstratable track record, although most people have a "mate who does a bit of plumbing on the side". I'm seriously tearing my hear out wondering why it has to be so difficult - which has brought about the "geezer" vs British Gas predicament in the first place.

Post on the Screwfix.com forums for a Corgi registered plumber in your area to quote for the job. Ask to see their registration, insurance, and contact details for work undertaken for their other customers.

Do this x 3. Then pick the one you're happiest with.

HTH

chicane
3rd August 2007, 08:36
Post on the Screwfix.com forums for a Corgi registered plumber in your area to quote for the job. Ask to see their registration, insurance, and contact details for work undertaken for their other customers.

Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question - but presumably I should post on the Plumbers' Talk forum?

Chugnut
3rd August 2007, 08:41
Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question - but presumably I should post on the Plumbers' Talk forum?

That's where I would.

It may be best to browse/search the forum for similar questions and do a few posts before actually asking for someone to quote. No-one will give you a reply with a vested interest then and you might be able to separate the wheat from the chaff posters.

Bagpuss
3rd August 2007, 08:49
I'd start here

http://www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk/

chicane
3rd August 2007, 08:59
I'd start here

http://www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk/

Blimey - apparently the nearest approved plumber to here is 70 miles away in Nottingham!

Bagpuss
3rd August 2007, 09:15
Blimey - apparently the nearest approved plumber to here is 70 miles away in Nottingham!

Ring up the local trading standards they do lists of ones which operate to their fair trading standards. The dodgy ones will also be well known to them.

DimPrawn
3rd August 2007, 09:18
It's like trying to find a decent IT contractor isn't it?

Everyones a fecking fly-by-night.

What we need are agents for plumbers. :rollin:

chicane
3rd August 2007, 09:26
Ring up the local trading standards they do lists of ones which operate to their fair trading standards. The dodgy ones will also be well known to them.

I'll do that. Thanks for the advice, I hadn't though of any of these ideas.

Ardesco
3rd August 2007, 09:29
Do not feck about with gas yourself.

If CORGI find out they will do thier best to prosecute to make an example out of you (I did a gig at CORGI a couple of years ago and know that they throw the book at you if they find out that you have had it fitted by somebody who is not registered with them).

Secondly is it really worth the risk? Gas is fecking dangerous if not done properly, ranges from your house blowing up to you never waking up due to CO poisoning. Either way you are fecked and won't get insurance to pay out if you have no certs because it was a fly by night job (not that it's much use if you are dead).

Also all gas work has to be reported to CORGI and they will then send you out a certificate, if you don't get a cert either the guy who has done it didn't bother to report it (dodgy), ot he's not qualified to do it (really dodgy).

lilelvis2000
3rd August 2007, 09:45

Good point, as anyone who has watched rogue traders knows. May also want to check with CORGI that anyone you hire is in fact CORGI registered, some have been known to forge or lie about this.

NickFitz
4th August 2007, 17:54

A google for "corgi gas" leads to...

http://www.trustcorgi.com/findinstaller/findinstallerlanding.htmx

chicane
4th August 2007, 18:25
A google for "corgi gas" leads to...

http://www.trustcorgi.com/findinstaller/findinstallerlanding.htmx

Thanks for the suggestion. Unless I'm doing something wrong, this one reports zero results for central heating installers within 50 miles of Leeds. Nice.

NickFitz
4th August 2007, 18:49
Thanks for the suggestion. Unless I'm doing something wrong, this one reports zero results for central heating installers within 50 miles of Leeds. Nice.
:confused:

Maybe they've all gone off to work in Poland... there can't be many plumbers left over there.

Diver
4th August 2007, 19:02
Did you know that corgi registered plumbers are in the top five earning professions in the country.
Read that in a magazine at the dentists.

mrdonuts
5th August 2007, 16:33
i hate this whole corgi registered / certified electrician stuff, they have managed to set up barriers to entry into these "trades" which lets face it monkeys could, and do do, but because of the barriers they can charge a fortune

why arent the competition authorities looking into this?
why dont they have millions of pakistani contractors looking to undercut their jobs?

fzbucks
5th August 2007, 18:07
perhaps there could be a setup of a similar barrier scheme for the IT industry.

Bagpuss
6th August 2007, 10:14
i hate this whole corgi registered / certified electrician stuff, they have managed to set up barriers to entry into these "trades" which lets face it monkeys could, and do do, but because of the barriers they can charge a fortune

why dont they have millions of pakistani contractors looking to undercut their jobs?

I think you'll find the barriers are there to stop the monkeys. Mind you the monkeys still do it, they're the ones who burn your house down or electocute you, still if you save a few quid!

Ardesco
6th August 2007, 10:42

I agree with CORGI registered. I want to know that the guy fecking about with gas in my house knows what he is doing. Have you any idea how many people were dying a year from CO poisoning before the industry was regulated?

As for the electrical, any joe bloggs can do electrical work, you are just supposed to get it checked by a qualified electrician once it is done (which i'm sure most people don't bother with).

TheFaQQer
6th August 2007, 11:31
I agree with CORGI registered. I want to know that the guy fecking about with gas in my house knows what he is doing. Have you any idea how many people were dying a year from CO poisoning before the industry was regulated?

As for the electrical, any joe bloggs can do electrical work, you are just supposed to get it checked by a qualified electrician once it is done (which i'm sure most people don't bother with).

Agreed - I'll do my own electrics, since it's pretty obvious when things don't work!

Plumbing, I found out, only shows when you've messed up when the pipes start leaking through the ceiling into the rooms downstairs.

Gas is completely out, as far as I'm concerned!

Bagpuss
6th August 2007, 12:30
Agreed - I'll do my own electrics, since it's pretty obvious when things don't work!

Ever heard of electrical fires? Usually caused when something is wired up wrong, not usually apparent until you get that burning smell. Home insurance would love the fact you'd done it, as they wouldn't have to pay out.

mrdonuts
6th August 2007, 12:40
gas, electrics, plumbing all incredibly easy

the corgi registrations etc are in reality to protect them imho

Lockhouse
6th August 2007, 12:44
I've not read alll of this thread but if it is for a rented property this is my advice. I'm a landlord who has recently got British Gas in to fit a boiler.

1) If you have an incorrectly fitted boiler and your tenants die because of it you will go to prison for a long time.

2) See 1.

3) British Gas will fit you a kosher boiler and you can haggle for discounts.

4) British gas do a special service for landlords. For a small amount each month they will do all your plumbing work, plus automatically come out and do your gas certification when it's due. Worth a fortune in my experience.

HTH

chicane
6th August 2007, 12:47
I've not read alll of this thread but if it is for a rented property this is my advice. I'm a landlord who has recently got British Gas in to fit a boiler.

I'm having a BG engineer round next week to take a look at the house. He suggested over the phone that a realistic price for a C/H installation from scratch in a house of this type (2 bed through terrace) would be 4.5k, which seems a bit over the mark to me.

What did the boiler install cost?

Bagpuss
6th August 2007, 12:48
gas, electrics, plumbing all incredibly easy

the corgi registrations etc are in reality to protect them imho

I think you are simplifying the situation, plumbing/ heat engineer/ electrician are all 2/3 years plus apprenticeships. You get gas or electric wrong and you die. You practice your DIY gas fitter skills on others and you go to prison, and rightfully so. IMHO

Lockhouse
6th August 2007, 12:49
I'm having a BG engineer round next week to take a look at the house. He suggested over the phone that a realistic price for a C/H installation from scratch in a house of this type (2 bed through terrace) would be 4.5k, which seems a bit over the mark to me.

ISTR £1800 for a 3 bet flat - It would have been cheaper but there were technical problems that needed to be solved as well.

Lockhouse
6th August 2007, 12:51
ISTR £1800 for a 3 bet flat - It would have been cheaper but there were technical problems that needed to be solved as well.

p.s. British gas might be pricey but they're not a rip-off. They also have a huge back-up operation if things go wrong.

Ardesco
6th August 2007, 13:25

For CORGI registered installer to replace the existing boiler and move it from kitchen to garage, get rid of the cold water tank in the loft, existing hot water tank in airing cupboard and do the associated plumbing to make it all work once the parts had been moved around/removed cost me £1500.

This guy also does contract work for BG, so if you paid BG to do it there is a good chance you would get him coming along to do it for you ayway. £4500 to put in an extra 5 radiators and do the associated plumbing seems a bit steep to me (i'm assuming 5 radiators in a 2 bed terrace).

Chugnut
6th August 2007, 13:30

I think that's a brilliant price considering the cost of the condensing (presumably combi) boiler, pipework, about 5-7 rads I guess, and the labour to fit it.

I had a quote for a oil-based system for a 2/3 bed (soon to be a 4 bed) detached house at 13k. Needless to say I didn't take them up on it but I was expecting about 4-7k.

chicane
6th August 2007, 13:42
£4500 to put in an extra 5 radiators and do the associated plumbing seems a bit steep to me (i'm assuming 5 radiators in a 2 bed terrace).

The £4500 is to replace the existing hot water boiler with a combi and install around 5 radiators around the house. Not sure how clear I was about this before.

Chugnut - I think Lockhouse just had a replacement boiler - can see no mention of rads in the post.

Lockhouse
6th August 2007, 13:43
I think that's a brilliant price considering the cost of the condensing (presumably combi) boiler, pipework, about 5-7 rads I guess, and the labour to fit it.

That was for a boiler install only....I did say there were technical issues.

Chugnut
6th August 2007, 13:50
That was for a boiler install only....I did say there were technical issues.

Ah, I missed that. Sorry.

Ardesco
6th August 2007, 14:14
The £4500 is to replace the existing hot water boiler with a combi and install around 5 radiators around the house. Not sure how clear I was about this before.

Chugnut - I think Lockhouse just had a replacement boiler - can see no mention of rads in the post.

Yup pretty clear. My price was to replace the existing 20 year old boiler that only did the heating system in the house with a brand new Worcester-Bosch condensing combi boiler that did the heating and the hot water supply (previously hot water supply was a hot water tank with an electric element).

As stated above they did quite a bit of work for the money and I can't belive that plonking a few radiators in would cost £3000 above what I paid. It sounds very steep indeed.

TheFaQQer
6th August 2007, 14:31
I paid £3800 last year to have two boilers removed, a new BIG boiler fitted (5 bedroom, three storey house to heat), one new radiator, and new thermostat fitted.

New boiler is a condensing, combi boiler, with its own hot water tank as a kind of immersion heater (it gets used first while the rest heats up). The boiler itself was about £2500, so the rest was relatively cheap.

Chugnut
6th August 2007, 15:31
I paid £3800 last year to have two boilers removed, a new BIG boiler fitted (5 bedroom, three storey house to heat), one new radiator, and new thermostat fitted.

New boiler is a condensing, combi boiler, with its own hot water tank as a kind of immersion heater (it gets used first while the rest heats up). The boiler itself was about £2500, so the rest was relatively cheap.

Have you found usage of the hot water by a number of sources simultaneously makes the flow at the taps significantly reduce though, TheFagger?

I'd go the combi route for ease of install but had heard from numerous parties that if someone is running a bath at the same time as running the hot tap, the supply drops to a trickle.

"Good for flats, not so good for families", they cried.

TheFaQQer
6th August 2007, 15:38
Have you found usage of the hot water by a number of sources simultaneously makes the flow at the taps significantly reduce though, TheFagger?

I'd go the combi route for ease of install but had heard from numerous parties that if someone is running a bath at the same time as running the hot tap, the supply drops to a trickle.

"Good for flats, not so good for families", they cried.

No - the boiler has some stupidly high throughput, so I've not noticed any difference.

Haven't tried running the bath at the same time as the shower though. With the old heating, you had to run the cold tap on the bath, so that there wasn't enough water anywhere else and all you could get was hot out of the shower. That was to get it up to "tepid", so what we have now was well worth the expenditure!

TheFaQQer
6th August 2007, 15:39
No - the boiler has some stupidly high throughput, so I've not noticed any difference.

Haven't tried running the bath at the same time as the shower though. With the old heating, you had to run the cold tap on the bath, so that there wasn't enough water anywhere else and all you could get was hot out of the shower. That was to get it up to "tepid", so what we have now was well worth the expenditure!

Should add, it also depends on the size of the gas pipes into the boiler. At some stage on my old system, the pipes narrowed, so that neither boiler got enough gas through to heat anything, if they ran at the same time. So the idea of hot water and heating was out!

Chugnut
6th August 2007, 15:51
Thanks for that TheFaqqer. Good to know.

And that's all we've got time for on DIYSOS tonight. Next week, power drills!

xoggoth
6th August 2007, 18:44
I have not been able to think of an appropriate comment involving saucers of jam for wasps. Think yourself lucky.

chicane
9th August 2007, 17:10
Back on the subject of central heating...

The "geezer" called me the other day to find out if I'm ready to go ahead with the install. I asked him if he is Corgi registered, to which he replied "no". "However", he continued, "I'll fit it for you and my mate will approve it and do all the Corgi paperwork and approval" (an additional £150 apparently).

Turns out that him and his mate are both employed that does central heating installations, amongst other work, but what he's proposing sounds a bit fishy to me, like they're going to fill in the Corgi-related paperwork as if it was their employer that did the work, so to speak.

British Gas guy is coming to quote next week, but further discussion, insults, advice, changes of topic etc most welcome in the meantime.

Rocket
10th August 2007, 07:41
Chicane,

I'm in the process of sourcing the installation of central heating as well and I've done a fair bit of forum reading and I would have to say stay away from BG...their prices are way too high...

One way to go is to source all the materials yourself...I'm looking at a Worcester 30Si boiler for ~£850 and radiators for ~£40 each. The Corgi guy needs to install the plumbing under the floor and fit the new boiler so we're really paying for labour (mainly).

I would second (and third) Ardesco's point about using a Corgi registered engineer...if anything goes wrong you might not get the chance to rectify it (if you're living in the house with the gas leak)...

Try www.moneysavingexpert.com and go to the In my home forum and search for central heating, loads of good advice there...

Use www.trustcorgi.com to find registered engineers in your area...you can also check the Yellow Pages. Companies/people advertising here must have a valid address that is visited by the Yellow Pages people; gives a bit more peace of mind than some bloke's mobile number. I always investigate the websites and get a feel for what they do before calling them up.

I check their registration (at trustcorgi.com) and also Companies House to see how long they've been running under that name and whether they've been filing their accounts on time.

Of course, none of this means they will do a good job so if you don't have any personal recommendations, investigate 10, pick 3 for quotes and check their references...

HTH

chicane
10th August 2007, 12:20
Your advice is most welcome and appreciated... however...

I've had enough headaches with dodgy tradesmen in the past that I'm tempted to pay up to a grand over the odds just to get the reassurance that I'm dealing with an organisation that is willing to turn up at the agreed time, do a good job, and show accountability for anything which goes wrong afterwards.

All this due diligence you speak of is clearly necessary (a sad fact in itself), but it takes a lot of time and energy, and I can't escape from the fact that even after all the effort, there will still be doubts in my mind about my choice of supplier in the event that I don't go with BG.

On the assumption that the BG quote will be perhaps a grand over the alternatives, the peace of mind and lack of stress is well worth it for somebody like me who is clueless about anything trade related.

Chicane,

I'm in the process of sourcing the installation of central heating as well and I've done a fair bit of forum reading and I would have to say stay away from BG...their prices are way too high...

One way to go is to source all the materials yourself...I'm looking at a Worcester 30Si boiler for ~£850 and radiators for ~£40 each. The Corgi guy needs to install the plumbing under the floor and fit the new boiler so we're really paying for labour (mainly).

I would second (and third) Ardesco's point about using a Corgi registered engineer...if anything goes wrong you might not get the chance to rectify it (if you're living in the house with the gas leak)...

Try www.moneysavingexpert.com and go to the In my home forum and search for central heating, loads of good advice there...

Use www.trustcorgi.com to find registered engineers in your area...you can also check the Yellow Pages. Companies/people advertising here must have a valid address that is visited by the Yellow Pages people; gives a bit more peace of mind than some bloke's mobile number. I always investigate the websites and get a feel for what they do before calling them up.

I check their registration (at trustcorgi.com) and also Companies House to see how long they've been running under that name and whether they've been filing their accounts on time.

Of course, none of this means they will do a good job so if you don't have any personal recommendations, investigate 10, pick 3 for quotes and check their references...

HTH

Ardesco
10th August 2007, 12:43
Your advice is most welcome and appreciated... however...

I've had enough headaches with dodgy tradesmen in the past that I'm tempted to pay up to a grand over the odds just to get the reassurance that I'm dealing with an organisation that is willing to turn up at the agreed time, do a good job, and show accountability for anything which goes wrong afterwards.

All this due diligence you speak of is clearly necessary (a sad fact in itself), but it takes a lot of time and energy, and I can't escape from the fact that even after all the effort, there will still be doubts in my mind about my choice of supplier in the event that I don't go with BG.

On the assumption that the BG quote will be perhaps a grand over the alternatives, the peace of mind and lack of stress is well worth it for somebody like me who is clueless about anything trade related.

One thing to bear in mind is that BG are no better than the rest, no matter what they say. Approx 40% of the time you will not get BG employee's but a local CORGI registered sole trader who BG have contracted to do the work for them. Also BG get as many complaints for shoddy work as the others (I've seen a case where a BG employee tried to fit a boiler in an unsuitable location that was then approved by another BG employee who went to check the work. It was picked up by a random CORGI inspection).

The big positive in having BG do the work is the after sales package where they will fix it if it goes wrong, but lets face it, done properly it shouldn't go wrong in the first place. My advice would be find a local guy who lives very close to you. He is less likely to screw you around if you can walk down the road and bang on his door should anything go wrong.

chicane
10th August 2007, 12:50
One thing to bear in mind is that BG are no better than the rest, no matter what they say. Approx 40% of the time you will not get BG employee's but a local CORGI registered sole trader who BG have contracted to do the work for them. Also BG get as many complaints for shoddy work as the others (I've seen a case where a BG employee tried to fit a boiler in an unsuitable location that was then approved by another BG employee who went to check the work. It was picked up by a random CORGI inspection).

The big positive in having BG do the work is the after sales package where they will fix it if it goes wrong, but lets face it, done properly it shouldn't go wrong in the first place. My advice would be find a local guy who lives very close to you. He is less likely to screw you around if you can walk down the road and bang on his door should anything go wrong.

I asked the BG guy on the phone whether it would be a BG employee or a contractor doing the install. He assured me that it would be an employee. I agree that there's limited value in using BG if it gets farmed out to a contractor anyway.

Regarding the post-installation support, I tend to find with tradesmen that going to their house and knocking the door is the easy bit - the hard bit is getting them to come back to yours as they've already got their money!! Although not ideal, I can live with a suboptimal standard of work as long as it's quickly rectified. My previous experience of BG has shown that once you've got the mobile numbers of significant people (rather than call centre monkeys), it's reasonably easy to get things done.

chicane in "more confused by the minute" mode :freaky:

Chugnut
10th August 2007, 13:08
Employee my arse... it'll be a contractor.

My parents ch system was installed by a contractor back in 1982... he used newspaper around the balanced flue to fill the space...

Guy who changed the boiler in 2006 was a contractor too.

The people who "serviced" the boiler over the years appeared to be BG employees.

Your parents? Are you Godzuki then?

Ardesco
10th August 2007, 13:52
I asked the BG guy on the phone whether it would be a BG employee or a contractor doing the install. He assured me that it would be an employee. I agree that there's limited value in using BG if it gets farmed out to a contractor anyway.

He's talking bollocks. If they have no "employee's" available they will sub-contract instead and you will get a local fully competant fitter instead. If you had done it through them in the first place you would prolly have saved a packet and the standard of work will be identical (it being the same person).

Most CORGI fitters do contract work for BG as it is an easy way to get some custom and build your reputation when you are starting up. Also means that you are guaranteed work with minimal advertising your own business.

fzbucks
10th August 2007, 13:59
Your parents? Are you Godzuki then?

wasn't godzuki the nephew?

Chugnut
10th August 2007, 14:18
wasn't godzuki the nephew?

I can't believe you Googled Godzilla's bloodline. Gah!

I would have got away with it too if it wasn't for you kids. Oops sorry, wrong cartoon. ;)

fzbucks
10th August 2007, 14:23
I can't believe you Googled Godzilla's bloodline. Gah!

I would have got away with it too if it wasn't for you kids. Oops sorry, wrong cartoon. ;)

didn't google it - remebered from my childhood - i can remember every second of every saturday morning sat in front of the TV with it on quiet so my parents didn't get up.

Chugnut
10th August 2007, 14:37
didn't google it - remebered from my childhood - i can remember every second of every saturday morning sat in front of the TV with it on quiet so my parents didn't get up.

Sorry for :uofftopic Chicane.

Good memory. Why did they always have to ruin cartoons with the inclusion of a tedious cutesy character?

Godzuki, Snarf (I think he was from Thundercats), Scrappy Do, Keyop from Battle of the Planets - tossers one and all.

chicane
10th August 2007, 14:44
Sorry for :uofftopic Chicane.

Don't worry about it. Diversity of all kinds makes the world go around - just ask CD.