PDA

View Full Version : How agencies work.

DodgyAgent
3rd August 2007, 12:17
I don't know if many of you know how the agency model works, but it is a simple one. Each recruitment agent is given a territory (usually geographical) and a telephone along with a database of CVs. Your CV is the richest source of "quick" information there is. Someone with no contacts and no knowledge of the industry (and therefore cheap) can hit the ground running from day one (maybe with some training thrown in).

References are now the most sought after bit of "extra information" that there is, not only is there a name supplied but there is valuable informaqtion about the technical environment and the project itself. You can try and talk to contractors and screw info out of them, but it is time consuming and contractors prefer to talk about what is important to them, ie, their next gig or their train set in the loft :happy . Quite often contractors work out pretty easily that they are being used. Far better to throw a bit of legal requirement at them and just get the names than engage in a long conversation.

These agents are then made to make 50 calls a day to clients in order to obtain not only requirements but also names of other likely hiring managers. They pick up requirements and they begin talking to contractors who may be up for their jobs. This has a snowball effect in gathering information, and it is how that information is used and how networks develop and how determined the RC is in making placements that determine success.

The activities are all measured in terms of number of calls made, CVs sent, interviews arranged, placements made and margins tweaked. It then becomes easy to manage because a sales manager can look at the stats and immediatly tell an individuals strengths and weaknesses. If for instance an RC is picking up a lot of jobs and sending lits of CVs, yet getting few interviews then the problem can be identified as either a weakness in the link with the hiring manager or a lack of understanding of what hiring managers want, issues that can be dealt with usually with extra training/help.

There are other tricks and tactics that agencies use but the core of the model is as I have explained. The whole business then becomes a numbers and processes game whereby management/shareholder can look at stats as a pointer as to the profitability of the business.

The same business model is applied to Foxtons and a host of other sales led businesses. It may be impersonal, it may not be seen as candidate focussed but it works.

dotnetter
3rd August 2007, 12:20
Scum :cool:

DimPrawn
3rd August 2007, 12:23
This made me think.

What do MacDonalds sell?

Pickle2
3rd August 2007, 12:25
For 15%, it sure beats the hell out of me having to do all that crap myself. I've done cold calling in the past, it can be soul destroying.

DodgyAgent
3rd August 2007, 12:26
This made me think.

What do MacDonalds sell?

Macdonalds is another interesting process business. It is not customer focussed, people have little choice. Nothing is left to chance with Macdonalds, even the height of the service counters is carefully assessed. The staff however do not have to make cold calls which is why a contractor would probably make his five stars before a recruitment agent would.

dotnetter
3rd August 2007, 12:26
This made me think.

What do MacDonalds sell?

A Franchise haw haw haw

DimPrawn
3rd August 2007, 12:27
Imagine you invoice £100K a year and spend 2 yrs on a contract.

Is it worth £30,000 for a few calls?

Also being given a bog standard agency contract with IR35 written all over it?

I don't think so. Go direct. I do.

DodgyAgent
3rd August 2007, 12:27
For 15%, it sure beats the hell out of me having to do all that crap myself. I've done cold calling in the past, it can be soul destroying.

why do you think people who do it are called arsesouls ? :laugh

richard-af
3rd August 2007, 12:28
Thanks Dodgy, would never have guessed.

DodgyAgent
3rd August 2007, 12:29
Thanks Dodgy, would never have guessed.

Anyone with determination can do it

Francko
3rd August 2007, 12:30
Ican hit the ground running from day one (maybe with some training thrown in)

What's the training baseline for an agent?

1) Verbal abuse techniques

2) Advance lieing skills

3) Best blood sucking strategies without killing your prey

4) Basic math (only subtraction of contractor rates and addition of agent margins)

5) Random allocation skills (i.e. how to put everybody everywhere even though a complete mismatch)

DimPrawn
3rd August 2007, 12:30
Next week, Dodgy explains how to sell double glazing door-to-door.

DodgyAgent
3rd August 2007, 12:31
What's the training baseline for an agent?

1) Verbal abuse techniques

2) Advance lieing skills

3) Best blood sucking strategies without killing your prey

4) Basic math (only subtraction of contractor rates and addition of agent margins)

Most dont need that sort of training, they tend to have the innate talent and pick it all up as they go along :happy

Burdock
3rd August 2007, 12:33
Poor Dodgy...he gets a lot of flak for being our 'inside man'. It's like the Magic Circle...if other agents found out he was on here, he would have his tongue cut out...

DodgyAgent
3rd August 2007, 12:33
Next week, Dodgy explains how to sell double glazing door-to-door.

It is the same. It is called "foot in the door selling". The good ones get their head in the door because when it gets slammed shut they can still speak. :laugh

DodgyAgent
3rd August 2007, 12:39
Poor Dodgy...he gets a lot of flak for being our 'inside man'. It's like the Magic Circle...if other agents found out he was on here, he would have his tongue cut out...

It helps to have a thick skin, and funnily enough I have made some very good contacts here and obtained some business as a result. :)

richard-af
3rd August 2007, 12:54
It helps to have a thick skin, and funnily enough I have made some very good contacts here and obtained some business as a result. :)

.. but that's enough about the White Slave Trade.

BA to the Stars
3rd August 2007, 13:24

So Dodgy is known as Rhino - thick skinned and charges a lot :laugh

DodgyAgent
3rd August 2007, 14:16
So Dodgy is known as Rhino - thick skinned and charges a lot :laugh

:laugh

oraclesmith
3rd August 2007, 16:31
Here's a question for you Dodgy :-

With most contractors' CV's on Jobserve or Jobsite etc, openly available for searching by agencies, why do many of them insist on taking a local copy which is by definition going to become quickly out of date compared to the contractor-maintained Jobserve/Jobsite version ?

Every week I get e-mail's from EB's asking me to apply for roles and/or update my CV on their database. Of course I can't be bothered to update each agency's database when I can just update the one on Jobsite and the other one on Jobserve.

DodgyAgent
3rd August 2007, 16:37
Here's a question for you Dodgy :-

With most contractors' CV's on Jobserve or Jobsite etc, openly available for searching by agencies, why do many of them insist on taking a local copy which is by definition going to become quickly out of date compared to the contractor-maintained Jobserve/Jobsite version ?

Every week I get e-mail's from EB's asking me to apply for roles and/or update my CV on their database. Of course I can't be bothered to update each agency's database when I can just update the one on Jobsite and the other one on Jobserve.

That is a very good question. I think it just doesnt occur to them to look. If this were the rule for all contractors then maybe they would link their systems in to Jobserve/jobsite accordingly. They will all have a proprietary copy of your CV in order that they can attach it to activity records (this applies to my agency) and stick their logos etc on it when they send it out.

It may be an idea for you to generate a standard email that tells them to go to jobserve/site for the latest copy of your CV.

thunderlizard
3rd August 2007, 16:50
One agent mate of mine says he hasn't searched his company's in-house CV database for over a year, and only ever uses the online ones.

oraclesmith
3rd August 2007, 16:56
If this were the rule for all contractors then maybe they would link their systems in to Jobserve/jobsite accordingly. They will all have a proprietary copy of your CV in order that they can attach it to activity records (this applies to my agency) and stick their logos etc on it when they send it out.

Ok, so there's a free Plan B idea for someone. Develop an agency system that will integrate with Jobserve and Jobsite and allow localisation of CV's (addition of activity records, notes etc) but with basic CV data driven by the site. Better still, develop an agency system supplied as SaaS.

DodgyAgent
3rd August 2007, 16:56
One agent mate of mine says he hasn't searched his company's in-house CV database for over a year, and only ever uses the online ones.

It is third on our list of activities behind advertising and searching job boards

DodgyAgent
3rd August 2007, 16:57
Ok, so there's a free Plan B idea for someone. Develop an agency system that will integrate with Jobserve and Jobsite and allow localisation of CV's (addition of activity records, notes etc) but with basic CV data driven by the site. Better still, develop an agency system supplied as SaaS.

It needs to be simple and remember agents are lazy :smile

Andy2
3rd August 2007, 17:34
Dodgy
You sound like a good agent
I am looking for a contract ,can I send you my CV

2uk
3rd August 2007, 19:28
Dodge , what is the average pay agents make ?

So what happens if you go to other agent’s geographical territory ? They send you the gorilaz ?

Sockpuppet
3rd August 2007, 19:31
Dodge , what is the average pay agents make ?

So what happens if you go to a other agent’s geographical territory ? They send you the gorilaz ?

I have a mate who reckons he makes £80k as a rec agent (circa $6k ish / month).

But he has just bought a £150k flat in Bristol.

If I was on £80k I would want more than an £150k flat.

bored
3rd August 2007, 19:46
Better still, develop an agency system supplied as SaaS.

That's my plan B indeed! :banana: