• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bereavement Leave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bereavement Leave

Does anyone out there no the law and legalities when a sibling or parent passes away with regards to what if at all you should be paid

Regards

SL

Does anyone out there no the law and legalities when a sibling or parent passes away with regards to what if at all you should be paid

know I dont.
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

As a contractor or as a permie?

Comment

Check your contract. Generally speaking, as a contractor, if you don't turn up for work you don't get paid.

However, I know a contractor who recently lost a family member - he explained the situation to the client, took a few days off, and got paid for those days. I'd guess this is the exception rather than the rule.

Comment

Legally as a contractor I don't think that you are entitled to any paid leave in such circumstances. In reality however it all depends on your client, I once had to take a day off for a relatives funeral and they paid me. If you have a good relationship with the client, explain the circumstances to them and don't forget, if you don't ask, you don't get. Good luck

Comment

Feck me, what next, sick pay?

Take the days off, but never expect pay for them.

And you wonder why IR35 was implemented...

Comment

If you are running through a Ltd company and paying yourself a salary, then this continues to be paid for days missed.

If you expect the client to pay your Ltd for days you don't work then you might as well phone HMRC and say "Please come round and take loads of money off me, I want to be caught by IR35".

Comment

Don't expect any money from the client (I'm shocked that there are a couple of examples where contractors have been paid).

Generally speaking most clients are fairly understanding with these things though. Have a word with you client contact explain the situation and tell them you would like x amount of time off. They are likely to let you have the time off as if they don't you are not likely to be too productive and it also saves them a small wedge.

Comment

I'm pretty surprised that people have managed to charge for that kind of thing too. The IR35 police would have something to say.

Most contracts are pretty work-driven - i.e. you get paid per day for when there's work to do but if there isn't any work you don't have to show up. Check yours out for that. If you can shuffle your work around you, and/or turn stuff down you'll be OK to take a few days off.

Comment

Bereavement Leave

One of my children died a few years ago and I was told that I was to be paid, and was paid, however that was PAYE.

So as a fully fledged contractor the consensus states NOTHING?

Thanks for your comments

SL

Comment

Working...
                    X