• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Released from contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Released from contract

I have been given two weeks notice.

Short version is that my test lead was not doing what he should do, and they did not like the fact I could not give a firm estimate on any rework from a 5 page rambling email and assessed a days effort to break down the email to provide the estimate they wanted. Hence they have terminated me for not working miracles.

I have had nothing in writing, nor any phone call from the agency. (My contract is with the agency).

Where do I stand, and what would happen if I got nothing in writing by the end of the 2 week period?

"where you stand" depends completely on whatever's written in your contract. Anything else is guesswork.
    Last edited by thunderlizard; 3 August 2007, 23:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow
      ...snip... what would happen if I got nothing in writing by the end of the 2 week period?
      Nothing - you're out of a job. Rightly or wrongly, the client doesn't think you're delivering, and they certainly won't pay you for it. The fact that you've been given notice is actually a good thing, they'd be well within their rights to turn you out immediately (there'll be a clause to that effect in your contract somewhere).

It happens, it's a pain, but don't waste time agonising over it. Move on.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yep Moving on is the best and healthiest thing you could do.

Comment

Cheers guys, moving on is indeed healthiest. Just frustrating to be made a scapegoat.

Registered with the agencies, seen a few things on Jobserve as well.

There is little contracting work in my area, but a few agile projects in London. (Testing since 1999, exposure to QTP, a couple of years of agile and worked as an STA for a consultancy). Just a case of finding something suitable. I wold rather stay local for humdrum, but happy to work away for an interesting gig.

If anyone is looking, would be great to learn more

Comment

I would shout and scream and then sit in a corner sobbing until they reinstated me. It usually works.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Hmm bad luck mate.

I'm currently gigging at Muppet HQ myself and fear a similar fate so I'm plotting my escape.

All the best for getting a new gig - on the plus side agile is on the up so hopefully you won't have too many problems.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy
                I'm currently gigging at Muppet HQ myself
                Sounds perfect, where do I sign?
                Originally posted by Wilmslow
                Just frustrating to be made a scapegoat.
                It happens. Don't get upset about it. Where human beings are involved sooner or later there will be personality differences and the contractor will get the can. It's inevitable, there isn't a lot you can do about it so there is no point worrying. (Unless of course it is happening on every gig then you might want to have a look at yourself).

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo
                  Sounds perfect, where do I sign?
                  Oops sorry Gonzo. No offence.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy
                    Oops sorry Gonzo. No offence.