• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dialogue in Films

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dialogue in Films

Reading the M*A*S*H* thread made me remember something that's been bothering me for some time; a lot of the modern American films now, I can only determine around 70% percent of the dialogue. The rest of the time it all appears to be mumbled. I don't have this problem with older films so it's not because I'm senile and/or deaf. Has anyone else noticed this?

Andy
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

No ... so must be you are going deaf
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Eh, speak up at the back!
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Yes. I have to get things on DVD now so that I can put subtitles on so that I don't miss anything the Americans mumble through - West Wing was a classic example.

I had to rewind Heroes a number of times last week to catch what the FBI people where mumbling about.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I like the way the sound engineer records the important dialogue next to a jet engine, music system or wailing police siren. Quality control? Who cares, your gonna rent the DVD anyway.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

what was Marlon Brandon going on about in Apocalypse Now? Couldn't understand a word of it. Mind you, I bet Martin Sheen couldn't either.

Comment

I was thinking about unintelligibility of films, and remembered, with a shudder, that I once rented "Gerry", starring Matt Damon.

Anyone EVER watched it all? And what the bleep was it all about?

I just saw this: http://www.popmatters.com/film/reviews/g/gerry.shtml

And doubt that the poncey reviewer watched it all either.

Comment

I agree - I often find myself rewinding things to hear again, The West Wing being a good example.

Then again, my ears do fill up with wax every year or so, so maybe it's me. Pardon?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's all this surround sound Dolby DTS 3d nonesense.

I can hear the everything in immense detail except WTF the main characters are saying to each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse
                    Reading the M*A*S*H* thread made me remember something that's been bothering me for some time; a lot of the modern American films now, I can only determine around 70% percent of the dialogue. The rest of the time it all appears to be mumbled. I don't have this problem with older films so it's not because I'm senile and/or deaf. Has anyone else noticed this?

Andy
                    'Yes, actors seem to deliver lines in a breathy whisper.
                    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Working...
                    X