• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VOIP over the mobile

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VOIP over the mobile

Does anyone use VOIP over your GPRS/3g connection ?

I just downloaded a VOIP phone called GIZMO VOIP that installs on the nokia devices. But it won’t make an internet call over phone’s GPRS connection. It will only use phone’s WLAN connections.

Subscribing with GIZMO I also got a VOIP number like 1-2323-23-23-23 . Something like that. Has anyone else got one ? I never heard of standardized VOIP numbers before…

It does Work over GPRS !! .

Now I need to find out the cheapest data plan that does not block VOIP !

Comment

data tarrifs are too expensive at the moment, I use my Nokia N95 over wifi to access my SIP based VOIP account, works a treat but kills the battery!!!

Comment

I've been meaning to try VoIP via GPRS(2.5G)/HSDPA(3G) but never got around to it.

However, I can't really see the point. Mobile <-> mobile and mobile <-> landline tariffs can be reasonable and a variety of gateway services exist for international calls.

Anyway, to avoid detection you could wrap VoIP calls within a VPN (PPTP) if your end device supports it (i.e. a laptop with a mic will).

1-2323-23-23-23 style numbers look like their 'just' North American numbers, without any special VoIP meaning.

Comment

It is cheap if you call landlines and outside the uk . Feckin tmobile ate 14 pounds off my voucher in exactly 10 mins for a call to europe. Should I ve been gizmoed 10 mins would have eaten 3 pounds max

Comment

I just use wifi and skype out to call from euroland with my mobile. most big hotels have free wifi and the quality/delay isn't too bad. Agree with an earlier post though, does kill the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
              I just use wifi and skype out to call from euroland with my mobile. most big hotels have free wifi and the quality/delay isn't too bad. Agree with an earlier post though, does kill the battery.
              Indeed, as for not seeing the point, you would if you made hours of calls per week, from other countries to the UK, on a mobile. I was in that position which is why I got Skype and researched other possibilities. It's not a bizarre situation: you live in the UK but work in other EU country, and talk a lot to your partner. That used to cost me hundreds per month.

Now it's not so bad, because I found a less-hassle solution: got a business mobile account in the UK, added on a second SIM (different number) for 5.00/month, added Europe option that lets me receive while roaming for 35p/call. Got partner (who is also co sec) to call me on 2nd phone. Result: on my phone, 35p/day; on other phone, UK rates, with free minutes.

PS I don't stay in big hotels. It is my money that pays for it, after all. Many smaller hotels advertise WiFi in all rooms, but it's not free. In Germany it's often 13€/day.
              God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

3 have an add-on for £5 a month that gives unlimited internet and Skype calls.

On the right phone, even without the add-on, you can use Skype to receive calls.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaqqer
                  3 have an add-on for £5 a month that gives unlimited internet and Skype calls.

On the right phone, even without the add-on, you can use Skype to receive calls.
                  1. but without the add-on, doesn't it cost you GPRS data rates?
                  2. does it give unlimited internet in other countries too? (calling in the UK is cheap, it's international that gets the moby bill up to 3 or 4 figures)
                  God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
                    1. but without the add-on, doesn't it cost you GPRS data rates?
                    2. does it give unlimited internet in other countries too? (calling in the UK is cheap, it's international that gets the moby bill up to 3 or 4 figures)
                    1 - Probably. I use the internet on my phone quite a bit anyway (client sites that prohibit webmail etc.), plus I like google maps on there, so £5 is a no-brainer for me.

2 - Probably not. I know that it works overseas, but no idea about costs etc.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X