• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How did we miss this

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did we miss this

A teenage science student has been banned from applying for a training programme with the Environment Agency because she is white and English.

The recruitment agency handling the scheme told Abigail Howarth, 18, that there was no point in her submitting an application because of her ethnic background.

But bizarrely she could have applied if she had been white and Welsh, Scottish or Irish.

Abigail, who wanted to join the Agency's flood management programme, saw an advert in a local newspaper offering positions in the Anglia region where she lives, complete with a £13,000-a-year tax-free grant.

It made no mention of the ban on white English applicants, merely noting that candidates from ethnic minorities, such as "Asian, Indian' and "White Other, e.g. Irish, Welsh, Scottish', were encouraged to put themselves forward.

Abigail, of Little Straughton, Bedfordshire, said: "I was really disappointed. To be told being "White English" ruled me out in my home county shocked me. I know why there are positive action training schemes to assist those who are genuinely discriminated against but when it's broken down to this level it seems crazy to me.

"I really wanted to work for the agency and I was very excited - followed by feeling very disappointed.

"I would not have minded had I been beaten for the position by somebody better able than me."

Abigail, who is awaiting the results of A-Levels in environmental science, geography and geology, emailed PATH National Ltd, the company handling applications.

She asked: "Am I correct in assuming that as I am English (White) I need not apply as the preference is for the minorities you have listed, or can I apply anyway?'

Three days later, PATH recruitment officer, Bola Odusi, replied: "Thank you for your enquiry unfortunately the traineeship opportunity in <\[>sic] targeted towards the ethnic minority group to address their under representations in the professions under the Race Relations Act amended 2000."

Such a policy may breach Race Relations legislation as employers must prove ethnic groups are under-represented before using positive discrimination strategies.

The Environment Agency admitted it had 'no evidence that white Welsh, Scottish or Irish workers were under-represented' in the Anglia region.

South West Bedfordshire Tory MP Andrew Selous said: "I think this is complete nonsense and the Environment Agency should be taking the best people, irrespective of their background.

"This is obviously borne out of some idiotic quota system. Abigail should have been able to apply and been judged on her own merits. I will raise this when I have a meeting with the Environment Agency next month."

PATH National's organisational development manager, Mary McDowell, said: "The "White Welsh", "White Irish" and "White Scottish" is a technicality in law - if they are a minority, they are entitled to places on these schemes - they are not part of the majority group, which is "White English".

"The "White English" in this area are the majority group and hence could not apply.

"That is the way the law is laid. This is a chance for people who might be less employable to gain experience, just experience. Public-sector organisations have a duty to ensure they reflect the make-up of the society they serve."

The Environment Agency says 387 of its 12,000 workers claim BME (Black and Minority Ethnic) status. A spokesman added: "The Commission for Racial Equality has confirmed we are acting legally."

A CRE spokeswoman said: "The Commission will be checking with the Environment Agency to clarify the current situation regarding their positive action initiatives.

"Positive action can only be used to encourage or train particular under-represented groups."

Linky

It's only fair.

Comment

I agree, need to give everybody a fair chance

Comment

Equality is lovely, but this isn't it. Because it favours one group above another.

I hate quota systems in situations like this, as the candidate best able to carry out the duties of the job may not get the position, by dint of ethnicity. Which is bizarre and wrong, given that the whole point is to honour equality. A bit like the Female Only MP selection critertion. It's tempting to give progress a shove along by altering the rules, but it always makes those that gain appear tainted by misplaced favour, as well as infuriating those that don't gain. What next? The disenfranchised each to get two votes on Polling Day, because it's their only real chance to change the System?

And this stunt is just the sort of thing that Nick Griffin and his awks love to print on their handbills.

The way of the world is that change and acceptance takes time, and discrimination, for whatever motive, is still discrimination.

Comment

Yes, the difference between Bola Odusi and Nick Griffin is the former is paid by the government to be a racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrysp
            A teenage science student has been banned from applying for a training programme with the Environment Agency because she is white and English.

The recruitment agency handling the scheme told Abigail Howarth, 18, that there was no point in her submitting an application because of her ethnic background.

But bizarrely she could have applied if she had been white and Welsh, Scottish or Irish.
            I am a Scot, and I am REALLY angry about this. We don't need special treatment, and I for one don't want it. Level playing field, that'll do nicely thanks (and I'm pretty sure we've got it already).

I don't know how any of the other "favoured" groups see this, but I'm insulted.
            God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

How Scottish do you need to be? I think I can claim to be 3/8ths white Scottish, and 1/8th white Irish. Maybe I should start putting that on my c.v., just in case people confuse me with those English scum.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

[QUOTE=Harrysp]

"The "White English" in this area are the majority group and hence could not apply.

"That is the way the law is laid. This is a chance for people who might be less employable to gain experience, just experience. Public-sector organisations have a duty to ensure they reflect the make-up of the society they serve."

Does this mean in certain areas which contain large groups of what we would refer to as ethnic minorities (as a % of the total population of the country) but make up the majority group in that area e.g. in Edinburgh, white Scottish is the majority group, then it is legal to discriminate. I wonder how many "minority" applications were received

It is things like this which cause problems, it should be the best person for the job not to give someone a warm feeling inside that they are making everyone equal.

Comment

[QUOTE=BA to the Stars]
                  Originally posted by Harrysp

Does this mean in certain areas which contain large groups of what we would refer to as ethnic minorities (as a % of the total population of the country) but make up the majority group in that area e.g. in Edinburgh, white Scottish is the majority group, then it is legal to discriminate. I wonder how many "minority" applications were received

It is things like this which cause problems, it should be the best person for the job not to give someone a warm feeling inside that they are making everyone equal.
                  What makes you think that "White Scottish" is the majority in Edinburgh?
                  God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaroth of the Jagaroth
                    It's only fair.
                    I feel the need for a tax specifically aimed at situations like this having to be introduced!

After all, its only fair

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X