• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

5 "Britons" held in Guantanamo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 "Britons" held in Guantanamo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6934782.stm

Jamil el-Banna, a mechanic, is a Jordanian with refugee status in the UK.

Libyan-born Omar Deghayes was granted refugee status with his family in the 1980s.

Shaker Abdur-Raheem Aamer, originally from Saudi Arabia, had been living in the UK since 1996.

Binyam Mohammed al Habashi was born in Ethiopia but sought asylum in the UK in 1994 and was given leave to remain.

Abdulnour Sameur is an Algerian army deserter who came to Britain in 1999. He was granted refugee status in 2000.

Is it me, or are none of the detained, British in any way?

you're confusing old Britain with new Britain

hth

Milan.

Comment

They are not British residents. They are British residents and some have been granted refugee status. In the case of the refugees, I think that the UK has a duty to offer them representation and assistance against kidnap, false imprisonment and possibly torture by a foreign country. In the case of the non-refugee residents, it's not so clear-cut IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
        They are not British residents. They are British residents and some have been granted refugee status. In the case of the refugees, I think that the UK has a duty to offer them representation and assistance against kidnap, false imprisonment and possibly torture by a foreign country. In the case of the non-refugee residents, it's not so clear-cut IMO.
        Someone "flees" country X and comes to Britain, where of course the receive instant "refugee" status.

This person then leaves the safety of Britain and goes into a foreign warzone and are captured.

At what point are they still "our" responsibility?

Don't know about you, but I couldn't give a toss about them.

HTH

Comment

I find this xenophobia hard to swallow.

My take on things is that if somebody is willing to make a contribution to the common good (ie work hard and obey the law) whilst in this country, they are welcome to be here regardless of their country of origin.

If somebody is unwilling to make a contribution to the common good whilst in this country, I couldn't care less for their presence and would prefer them to leave sooner rather than later.

Why the hatred? We're all people and none of us have the right to claim the land on which we exist for our exclusive use.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
            I find this xenophobia hard to swallow.

My take on things is that if somebody is willing to make a contribution to the common good (ie work hard and obey the law) whilst in this country, they are welcome to be here regardless of their country of origin.

If somebody is unwilling to make a contribution to the common good whilst in this country, I couldn't care less for their presence and would prefer them to leave sooner rather than later.

Why the hatred? We're all people and none of us have the right to claim the land on which we exist for our exclusive use.
            I Like your naive communist take on Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt
              Someone "flees" country X and comes to Britain, where of course the receive instant "refugee" status.

This person then leaves the safety of Britain and goes into a foreign warzone and are captured.

At what point are they still "our" responsibility?

Don't know about you, but I couldn't give a toss about them.

HTH
              Let's take the 1st person on the list, Jamil El-Banna. He was captured in Gambia. Is that a war zone? Does he stop being our responsibility the moment a foreign country kidnaps him?

I happen to give a toss about human rights and legal due process - they are hallmarks of civilisation. If they've done something wrong, give them a fair trial. If they're guilty of a crime, punish them harshly.

But as things stand, the refugees are under British protection and in an extra-judicial black hole with no-one to represent them.

Comment

[QUOTE=chicane]I find this xenophobia hard to swallow.

QUOTE]

Interesting comments chicane, you seem to be saying that a society is bound by common attitudes, rather than education, wealth , ethnicity, place of birth etc

interesting

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt
                  I Like your naive communist take on Britain.
                  Communist?

You're the one implying that the current slow degradation towards state dependency for all within the UK is a good thing. I'd like to see a free market that would draw the best of the talent from around the world and push out the wasters.

Naive? Yes.
                  Idealistic? Absolutely.

But far from Communist.

Comment

I have a strong objection to Guantanamo in the first place. I believe in due process and individuals rights. This camp shows how little regard the Yanks actualy have for human rights and democracy, which was the platform they went to war on.

I believe we have a duty to offer shelter to the persecuted.

HOWEVER: I do not see why someone who was granted asylum in the UK has any business travelling the world under our protection. If they feel safe in another country, especialy one which is closer to home and is more culturaly aligned with their own beliefs, then why did they not claim asylum there?

AFAIAC: They gave up the right to our protection the moment they left our shores and their asylum/right to remain should be withdrawn forthwith.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X