PDA

View Full Version : CenterParcs - advice please

gingerjedi
8th August 2007, 09:32
I know its expensive and all that but the wife and I are being treated to a free holiday next week as it was the only place the whole family could agree on because of work commitments and kids etc.

Has anyone been recently as I want to know if it's really necessary to prebook the activities and restaurants? I don't really want to book windsurfing at 2:30 on a Tuesday if it’s going to be pi55ing down! Also I might not fancy a curry on a particular night and would rather be spontaneous on my choice of meal, at the same time I don't want to spend a week in a log cabin with 'f' all to do.

wobbegong
8th August 2007, 09:46
I know its expensive and all that but the wife and I are being treated to a free holiday next week as it was the only place the whole family could agree on because of work commitments and kids etc.

Has anyone been recently as I want to know if it's really necessary to prebook the activities and restaurants? I don't really want to book windsurfing at 2:30 on a Tuesday if it’s going to be pi55ing down! Also I might not fancy a curry on a particular night and would rather be spontaneous on my choice of meal, at the same time I don't want to spend a week in a log cabin with 'f' all to do.

Eh?

You have to be joking!!

:confused:

gingerjedi
8th August 2007, 10:13
She's quite pregnant and the libido has dropped off a bit! I just want to know if booking is really necessary, I don't mind fitting in if things are busy but I don't want to miss out if everything is booked up. I hear they have about a dozen different restaurants and pregnant women can be a bit peculiar when it comes to what food they fancy at any given time.

Flubster
8th August 2007, 10:30
Mrs Flubster, the little Flubsters and I all go to CentreParcs in Longleat twice a year and have done for the last 5 or 6 years.

If you're going next week, it's gonna be busy. Some events will already be fully booked. Restaurants are bookable in advance and I would recommend doing so.

Getting a seat/table next to the pool will also be a challenge unless you are prepared to get there early and bagsy a lounger.

Epiphone
8th August 2007, 10:35
Beeing forced to go with the ball and chain's family later in the year. I suspect it will be nothing less than Hell on earth with grinning "walky" types and Butlins style forced fun

richard-af
8th August 2007, 10:40
Beeing forced to go with the ball and chain's family later in the year. I suspect it will be nothing less than Hell on earth with grinning "walky" types and Butlins style forced fun
And gnats... LOADS of them.

gingerjedi
8th August 2007, 10:45
We're going to Longleat, I plan on sailing, windsurfing and cycling, anything else will be a bonus so I may just give them a call to prebook.

Epiphone... just relax and do what you want, it sounds as if you're dreading the in-laws more than the place. :D

Flubster
8th August 2007, 10:45
Book any kids into the Kids Club, then check into the spa. Sorted.

TheFaQQer
8th August 2007, 10:46

Some activities will already be booked - have a look at the brochure and see what you fancy doing. Restaurants probably not a problem - busy at peak times but you should be able to get somewhere.

I normally go at the end of January, since it's so cheap then! Wouldn't go in the summer though, but I'm sure you'll have fun!!

Bluebird
8th August 2007, 10:56
Some activities will already be booked - have a look at the brochure and see what you fancy doing. Restaurants probably not a problem - busy at peak times but you should be able to get somewhere.

I normally go at the end of January, since it's so cheap then! Wouldn't go in the summer though, but I'm sure you'll have fun!!

whats it like in Jan quiet / busy ?

Methuselah
8th August 2007, 11:06
Book any kids into the Kids Club, then check into the spa. Sorted.Nah, just leave them in the apartment while you go out to eat.

TheFaQQer
8th August 2007, 11:06

Pretty quiet - some pre-school age families, and those who take the kids out of school. It's steady, I guess - some things are booked up, plus there is no water sports in the lake (understandably!), but you can pretty much book activities at the start of the week and as long as you're flexible, get most of them in.

I go up to the one at Whinfell Forest - glorious countryside, peaceful, and a break after the hassle that I get at Christmas. It's cheaper for a Monday to Friday stay than to go Friday to Monday, as no-one really takes time off at that time of the year. You can also book pretty much last minute - maybe a couple of weeks before, and discount codes online work as well.

If I'm not working in January, then I'll take my eldest out of school and head up there again. Mind you, I'm in France for New Year so may not be looking for a break again so soon.

Flubster
8th August 2007, 11:08
Quieter, but because it's cheaper out of season, a bit more chavvy...

WindyAnna
8th August 2007, 11:33
She's quite pregnant

I had a "Mums to be" treatment at the Aqua Sana spa in Longleat which I pre-booked at it was heavenly!

TheFaQQer
8th August 2007, 12:07
I had a "Mums to be" treatment at the Aqua Sana spa in Longleat which I pre-booked at it was heavenly!

I guess it depends on how pregnant - some of the World of Spa things are too hot for mums to be.

Mrs F and I had a spa day and then massage for 2 last time we went - divine.

ControlG
8th August 2007, 12:27
I have just returned from a week at the Center Parcs in Les Bois Francs about 100 miles to the west of Paris.

I have been to UK sites in the past as well as the other French site and the main difference to me is the ease at which you can get bookings for activities. For the French sites (with the exception of the kindergarten) it seemed that you could book any activity on the morning that you wanted it.

If you are located in the South East then I would consider one of the French parks over the English ones (cheaper too!) I think there is a new one opening later this month about 120 miles south of Calais.

Les Bois Francs is a 3 hour drive from Calais.

richard-af
8th August 2007, 12:47
Why not just sit in your shed, and go cycling every day? Same experience.

Apache
8th August 2007, 13:24
Definitely book - especially if there's an activity you really fancy doing - they do book up especially during the holidays. When you get there, you can always check how booked up they are and whether or not you can adjust your booking.

WindyAnna
8th August 2007, 14:53
The dutch and french ones are better and cheaper than the UK for some stuff but if you want to use the spa then the UK ones are stacks better.

WA

_V_
8th August 2007, 15:01
What I like about Center Parcs is having a surly waitress keep me waiting for 45 minutes and then serve me a cold tastless burger and chips, with a diet coke for £14.99

chicane
8th August 2007, 15:08
What I like about Center Parcs is having a surly waitress keep me waiting for 45 minutes and then serve me a cold tastless burger and chips, with a diet coke for £14.99

Everything in life is relative. You ever been to Little Chef?

richard-af
8th August 2007, 15:14
Try the Triangle Cafe in Hitchin. An omelette costs £7!! That's a normal cheese omelette, nothing special, just an omelette.

Epiphone
9th August 2007, 11:25
Epiphone... just relax and do what you want, it sounds as if you're dreading the in-laws more than the place. :D

It's all off now but I still get the brownie points for agreeing to go in the first place. So ya me :banana:

Ruprect
9th August 2007, 12:09

Chav parcs, it truely is the noughties equivalent of butlins. Have fun, watch out for the tattoos and faaarrrrccckin ells of the greater spotted burberry bird.

Ruprect
9th August 2007, 12:10
p.s. is that libellous? is it possible to libel a whole burgeoning underclass?

Flubster
9th August 2007, 12:12
Chav parcs, it truely is the noughties equivalent of butlins. Have fun, watch out for the tattoos and faaarrrrccckin ells of the greater spotted burberry bird.
That's only at Whinfell and Sherwood. You don't get that at Longleat. Also, stay in the VIP accomodation instead of the 'cheap' chalets...even less likely to be sat next to undesirables due to the price uplift.

richard-af
9th August 2007, 12:27
That's only at Whinfell and Sherwood. You don't get that at Longleat. Also, stay in the VIP accomodation instead of the 'cheap' chalets...even less likely to be sat next to undesirables due to the price uplift.
You've been to them all, then? That shows great resolve, or something.

gingerjedi
9th August 2007, 13:02

I think the term ‘chav’ is somewhat overused these days, if you're not holidaying in 'Bora Bora' you must be going to some god-awful chav hell hole. :rolleyes:

I think the peak season price will keep out most of the undesirables and yes we are staying in an 'executive' apartment.

Ruprect
9th August 2007, 13:25
I think the term ‘chav’ is somewhat overused these days, if you're not holidaying in 'Bora Bora' you must be going to some god-awful chav hell hole. :rolleyes:

I think the peak season price will keep out most of the undesirables and yes we are staying in an 'executive' apartment.

Touchy GJ! I wasn't implying that anyone on here was a chav (I've been to CP once before myself and I own no tracksuits or burberry), merely that CP has a high concentration of them.

gingerjedi
9th August 2007, 13:30
Touchy GJ! I wasn't implying that anyone on here was a chav (I've been to CP once before myself and I own no tracksuits or burberry), merely that CP has a high concentration of them.

Well it’s full of sports activities... what attire do you suggest???

Ruprect
9th August 2007, 14:18
Well it’s full of sports activities... what attire do you suggest???

:rollin:

So you ARE a chav then!?

gingerjedi
20th August 2007, 10:34
Just to let people know CentreParcs was fine, no ‘chavs’ to speak of and a good time was had by all. The car park looked like an Audi/BMW/RangeRover forecourt so it was a good indication of the type of clientele.

On a side note I would highly recommend the Italian restaurant but avoid the Indian like the plague as all 8 people were ill the next day but luckily we were going home anyway.

Overall 8/10 :yay:

r0bly0ns
20th August 2007, 11:21
8/10 for food posinoning?

Blimey, what score do you give if you get E.Coli?

:wink

Glad you had a good time.

Ardesco
20th August 2007, 11:25
8/10 for food posinoning?

Blimey, what score do you give if you get E.Coli?

Glad you had a good time.

I suspect it would have been 9/10 if they had managed to off the inlaws instead of just giving them a dodgy belly...

Flubster
20th August 2007, 11:46
I suspect it would have been 9/10 if they had managed to off the inlaws instead of just giving them a dodgy belly...

It's not known as CentrePukes for nothing you know...