• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Incredible News - Lord Lucan is found in New Zealand

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incredible News - Lord Lucan is found in New Zealand

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6938131.stm

Such a convincing story....

"Mr Woodgate also pointed out he was five inches shorter than Lord Lucan and, at 62, is 10 years younger than the aristocrat would be now."

Originally posted by DimPrawn

"Mr Woodgate also pointed out he was five inches shorter than Lord Lucan and, at 62, is 10 years younger than the aristocrat would be now."

I wonder if it's that bloke who went missing from Manic Street Preachers, then?

Comment

It doesn't surprise me. Mrs Gonzo is from NZ so I have been over there several times in the last few years and one thing I did notice from reading their papers and watching their news is that the local journalists are not very rigorous about checking the accuracy of their stories.

Comment

It doesn't surprise me. Mrs Gonzo is from NZ so I have been over there several times in the last few years and one thing I did notice from reading their papers and watching their news is that the local journalists are not very rigorous about checking the accuracy of their stories.
        The accuracy of what story? They had a reported sighting, so went to investigate, no one actually seriously claimed they found him, they just investgated it... which makes your statement look a bit silly.

Comment

Originally posted by tay
          The accuracy of what story? They had a reported sighting, so went to investigate, no one actually seriously claimed they found him, they just investgated it... which makes your statement look a bit silly.
          To say that the journos were just doing there job is silly!

That it hit the headlines shows that the journos were only too happy to spin this "tramp sleeping in a car" non-story into "Lucan found living in car" scoop.

Are you a journo? If unsure, then a decent indicator is the number of empty whiskey bottles next to your bed.

Comment

That it hit the headlines shows that the journos were only too happy to spin this "tramp sleeping in a car" non-story into "Lucan found living in car" scoop.

Are you a journo? If unsure, then a decent indicator is the number of empty whiskey bottles next to your bed.
            or it made the news because it was so blatantly obvious that it wasnt him that it made the news... which surprise surprise is the same reason it made the news in the UK....

Find a single article in NZ or the UK that actually seriously claimed it was Lord Lucan... you cant.. your talking out of your ass.

Comment

The only reason it was spun into such a story is because nothing ever happens there.
              "Mrs Smith's Cat Missing"
              Avalanche in Mountains - No-one Hurt"
              "Tree Grown an Inch Since Last Year"

Seriously boring, so they have to make stuff up so the place sounds interesting. Same as Australia, that's why most of the people there are described as 'characters', because they're talked up more to make the place sound interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn

Sounds like an August story.
                Wissen ist Macht, aber nichts wissen macht nichts.

Comment

The only reason it was spun into such a story is because nothing ever happens there.
                  "Mrs Smith's Cat Missing"
                  Avalanche in Mountains - No-one Hurt"
                  "Tree Grown an Inch Since Last Year"

Seriously boring, so they have to make stuff up so the place sounds interesting. Same as Australia, that's why most of the people there are described as 'characters', because they're talked up more to make the place sound interesting.
                  They just wish thier news was full of Madeline, Diana and Posh n Becks....
                  The British cant take the moral highground over interesting news.. unless th 50th rehash about home bred terrorism does it for ya.

Comment

I thought everyone knew that he was living in a London bus, on the moon, with Elvis, Hitler and Shergar.

I read it in a newspaper, so it must be true.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X