• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

east mids accountant recommendantion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

east mids accountant recommendantion

Hi all , would appreciate if anyone can help. Sorry if this is covering old ground.

Have been contracting for year and a half now as a cad jockey and paid via umbrella company. A very lazy set-up that since April I've realised I need to sort out.

Contract is 'IR35 friendly'.

Been using Filetravel for the past year who I must say are excellent compared to my first service provider. However since April I'm loosing almost 50% of earning to tax and Ni. And therefore I need to change to Ltd.

1. Can anyone recommend an independent accountant in or around Derby/Burton/Birmingham area, I've seen the general accountant recommendations on the forum and will use either NW or SJD if nothing better however I would prefer a local accountant.

2. Under IR35 I understand I'll be 5% better off as Ltd compared to Umbrella if I've understood the threads correctly, however many of you are saying IR35 is now greatly Ignored. Can anyone explain further? Or is it just tax insurance?

Thanks Dave

50% lost? ouch!

SJD are local to you - I live in Leicester and use their Birmingham office.

Comment

Originally posted by ruth11
      50% lost? ouch!

SJD are local to you - I live in Leicester and use their Birmingham office.
      I also use their Birmingham office which is really good. They come out to see you when you join up. Everything else I've done over the phone and email.

Comment

The difference is between the cost of YourCo agaisnt the cost of an umbrella. Even the cheaest umbrella runs around £2.5k a year in reality (assuming you work the full year), accountants are around £500-£1200. If you're inside IR35 you pay PAYE on 95% of your gross less a few allowable expenses, that's where the 5% comes from.

As for IR35 being voluntary - well that's my slightly jaundiced view but only 4 out of 1400 challenges on IR35 caught status have been upheld by the courts. If you have any doubts, get your contract professionally reviewed: the indicators that put you outside are well understood. As an incentive to learn the subject properly, consider that the average difference beween caught and not-caught is around 20% on take-home - quite a lot for ticking one box on the P35...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yep SJD Birmingham office is really good.

Comment

Working...
          X