PDA

View Full Version : Friday Doom - And so it begins...

Churchill
10th August 2007, 07:48
Is this the start of the end?

World markets fall (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6939757.stm)

fzbucks
10th August 2007, 07:52
Black Friday?

Rantor
10th August 2007, 07:53

Hope so, I'm sick if this global financial system bollox - global metdown might be just the thing to cheer me up today. :devil

AlfredJPruffock
10th August 2007, 08:04
And in the End
The Love you Take
Is equal to the Love
You Make ...

richard-af
10th August 2007, 08:07
And in the End
The Love you Take
Is equal to the Love
You Make ...
Her majesty's a pretty nice girl,
But She doesn't have a lot to say.

Xenophon
10th August 2007, 08:07
And in the End
The Love you Take
Is equal to the Love
You Make ...
Thanks AJP. Short, but oh so sweet.

ChimpMaster
10th August 2007, 08:08
No it's simply a correction, but has some way to run yet.

I wouldn't wish for a financial meltdown if I were you - it would likely put every one of us out of business. It may not be so bad for those who have saved up loads of cash though ...which isn't me unfortunately :(

sunnysan
10th August 2007, 08:11
Well yes, so it begins,

If you think about it, house prices will not be able to sustain themselves if people cannot lend money, if we hit a credit crunch, and people have not got easy access to credit, then it impossible for houses to sustain their value as the houses are valued on the assumption of the availablity of credit.

Its npot really the value of the house, its the profitablity of lending money which will be affected and the house prices will follow

So it be written,

Nostrodamus

PS I did not get everything right

Rantor
10th August 2007, 08:17
Well yes, so it begins,

If you think about it, house prices will not be able to sustain themselves if people cannot lend money, if we hit a credit crunch, and people have not got easy access to credit, then it impossible for houses to sustain their value as the houses are valued on the assumption of the availablity of credit.

Its npot really the value of the house, its the profitablity of lending money which will be affected and the house prices will follow

So it be written,

Nostrodamus

PS I did not get everything right

Is that from the end of the world chapter?

Buffoon
10th August 2007, 08:17
"If you go to Zahadoom, you will die". :alien
He did alright for himself afterwards though.

Goldenboy
10th August 2007, 08:19
Well I hope the end of the world does not happen today or tomorrow. I'm having a bbq tomorrow

BoredBloke
10th August 2007, 08:21
"Well I hope the end of the world does not happen today or tomorrow. I'm having a bbq tomorrow"

OK Sunday it is then

God

DimPrawn
10th August 2007, 08:39

No. Next.

The boom cannot be stopped. Not with Gordon in charge.

Rantor
10th August 2007, 08:42
No it's simply a correction, but has some way to run yet.

I wouldn't wish for a financial meltdown if I were you - it would likely put every one of us out of business. It may not be so bad for those who have saved up loads of cash though ...which isn't me unfortunately :(

Doubt cash would be much good as it would be baseless in a meltdown scenario.

Wailing, gnashing-of-teeth, pestilence and no Big Brother - these will come to pass.

Just remember - no matter how bad things seem, they can always get worse....much, much worse :devil

Misanthropy is where it is at today.

Cowboy Bob
10th August 2007, 08:47
What's worse is that you phyically can't sell anything that is secured against the US sub-prime market - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston/2007/08/us_exports_poison_1.html - the banks refuse to value them.

Rantor
10th August 2007, 09:00
What's worse is that you phyically can't sell anything that is secured against the US sub-prime market - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston/2007/08/us_exports_poison_1.html - the banks refuse to value them.

Read that, seems strange that you can't flog an asset in a financial market - don't they usually offer a nominal sum?

AlfredJPruffock
10th August 2007, 09:08
Out of Contract
Money Spent
See no future
Pay no rent
All the Moneys Gone - Nowhere to go

Any jobber got the sack
Monday Morning turning back
Yellow Lorry Slow
Nowhere to go

But oh - that magic feeling
Nowhere to go !

1-2-3-4-5-6-7
All good children go to heaven

mrdonuts
10th August 2007, 09:09
nasdaq futures are currently positive, could be in rebound mode :yay: :yay:

Rantor
10th August 2007, 09:16
You can't post postive things.... it must be a dead cat bounce. :smokin

Doooooomed... etc. :glasses

Too right...and ater the collapse of the global financial system it won't be some drippy-hippy, sharing-caring nirvana. Nope, neo-feudalism with a twist of khmer rouge is coming down the line. :laugh

Pickle2
10th August 2007, 09:21
The IB that is my current client had a live tv announcment fromt he CEO beamed to everyones desktop this morning. He was obviously trying to calm the troops but he still painted a pretty grim picture. In his words "we are taking pain" .

Im not even at BNP!

Clippy
10th August 2007, 09:50

Certainly looks like it.
The same greed that sent the market up is now bringing it down.

Some choice quotes:

"The Bank of Japan injected one trillion yen ($8.5bn; £4.2bn) into the financial system on Friday".

"The Reserve Bank of Australia on Friday added more than twice the usual amount of money into the banking system, injecting A$4.95bn ($4.19bn; £2.08bn) in its regular morning money market operation".

"Central banks in Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines intervened to sell dollars to support their currencies".

"European indexes had slumped earlier after BNP Paribas froze three funds, saying the market for some of the assets they contained had disappeared".

"The European Central Bank injected a record $130.6bn (£64.6bn) into Europe's money markets to prevent a financial system seizure. And on Friday it made a further contribution to the eurozone banking market but gave no indication of how much it was injecting".

"In the US, the Federal Reserve was reported to have taken similar action, pumping about $24bn into the US banking system".

shaunbhoy
10th August 2007, 09:56
And in the End
The Love you Take
Is equal to the Love
You Make ...

Well sasguru is quids in, provided they factor in all the "love" he has made to himself with his hands!!
:laugh

RightLaugh
10th August 2007, 10:11
oh dear. So happy I took all my dosh out of the markets (FTSE 100 = 6550) in Apr/May and paid off the mortgage.
I love high interest rates, markets and property values falling.
They seek me here, they seek me there, I am the shadow.

Clippy
10th August 2007, 10:14
oh dear. So happy I took all my dosh out of the markets (FTSE 100 = 6550) in Apr/May and paid off the mortgage.
I love high interest rates, markets and property values falling.
They seek me here, they seek me there, I am the TheRightStuff.

:wink

RightLaugh
10th August 2007, 10:18
:wink

:rollin:
:yay:

Clippy
10th August 2007, 10:24
:rollin:
:yay:

:banana:

RightLaugh
10th August 2007, 10:26
markets are in a free fall. Only the opening of the Dow can help it. Although I think that's going to make it even worse. This could end being really bad today. I was predicting this morning that the FTSE would be 5??? points by the end of next week. Who knows it could even be today.

mrdonuts
10th August 2007, 10:27
ok, ok futures are now pointing to a terrible opening we are all doooommmed etc, wheres the window :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Zippy
10th August 2007, 10:31
"If you go to Zahadoom, you will die". :alien
:spel Z'ha'dum

IGMC

lilelvis2000
10th August 2007, 10:57
I'm sure it will all get better with a kiss.

Probably now's the best time to put some more money in and catch the bounce.

Old Greg
10th August 2007, 10:57
FTSE 100 now 3.00% down on the day. I don't understand any of it but I enjoy the drama.

RightLaugh
10th August 2007, 10:59
I don't understand how it can go up 1 day by 3% then down the next day.
Can't they make there minds up on what the value of a company is.
3% is billions. Efficient market hyphosis by rear.

I'm sure I made a spello somewhere.

AlfredJPruffock
10th August 2007, 11:01
Well sasguru is quids in, provided they factor in all the "love" he has made to himself with his hands!!

How the Hell are you SB ?

BTW I have recently made a new pal in Edinburgh - who served as Major in the Black Watch for fifteen years then left in 2001 - must be one of the funniest and most intelligent person I have ever met.

BTW he was totally opposed to the Iraq War.

mrdonuts
10th August 2007, 11:02
the egyptian stock market is up !!

probably some dodgy pyramid selling scheme afoot there though

Zippy
10th August 2007, 11:02
And where's Zathras when we need him?

I need the badass Shadows here, Zeity. There are a few people I'd like bumped off :D

Old Greg
10th August 2007, 11:03
the egyptian stock market is up !!

probably some dodgy pyramid selling scheme afoot there though
Sri Lanka's doing ok, as well.