• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving BMWs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving BMWs

Is that really more difficult/dangerous as some people say, especially when it's raining/snowing?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Originally posted by Francko
    Is that really more difficult/dangerous as some people say, especially when it's raining/snowing?
    'spose it depends who's behind the wheel more than anything. Knowing how to handle a rear wheel drive car in slippy conditions is a must.

Comment

Yes because when you get behind the wheel, you turn into a right tit!!! Your driving standards decline, you lose concentration and act like a twerp!!!

Maybe generalising a little but not much!!!
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

I've never owned one but I've driven a few friends' and I found the opposite: first of all every one seems to drive like every other one so you know what's happening. Secondly, it seems to be responsive and sensitive, but TBH I've never pushed it to see what happens when it gets close to going wrong, but it feels like it'd be gradual and communicative.

Do get the right tyres for the season.
        Wissen ist Macht, aber nichts wissen macht nichts.

Comment

That could be true only if people have never driven a RWD car and/or are inexperienced drivers. I'm afraid the one thing you can't slate about them is the handling!
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by fzbucks
            don't actually drive a BMW (a bit too chavvy for me) but I would know to take into account the road/weather conditions and adjust my driving to suit - as one would in any vehicle.
            That's for sure. However, what some people say is that BMW are very unstable in the rain and they have exagerated reactions. While this might not be a problem for rear wheel long experienced user if you don't have that much experience with it, it might turn to be quite dangerous as you would react differently in front wheel. I just wonder how many people did the switch from front to rear wheel and how easy that was.
            Probably this is just a myth and perhaps it was due to very old BMW whose reactions where incredibly oversensitive. However, as in all myths there might be some truth in it.

Interesting about the chavviness of BMW. True that in UK is a 99% owned chav car but most of it belonging to drug dealers-crime offenders. If you go to the mainland then it is a well respected car owned mainly by wealthy professional people.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Interesting about the chavviness of BMW. True that in UK is a 99% owned chav car but most of it belonging to drug dealers-crime offenders. If you go to the mainland then it is a well respected car owned mainly by wealthy professional people.
              Absolute garbage. What on earth are you talking about? How many chavs can afford an X5, M3, M5, or M6, etc.

It just a very popular brand driven by all sorts of folk.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut
                Absolute garbage. What on earth are you talking about? How many chavs can afford an X5, M3, M5, or M6, etc.
                Yes, as I said, drug dealers mainly.

Chavs can afford 10years old BMW though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut

It just a very popular brand driven by all sorts of folk.
                  Course it's garbage. Francko doesn't understand why 99.9% of the Uk population were more successful than him and therefore can afford BMWs.
                  Interesting fact: BMW 3 series outsells Mondeos in the UK
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Ive got in trouble a few times toeing it a bit much off roundabouts, I had new Dunlop tyres put on a while back and while they are quality in the dry when it rains sometimes it's like driving on ice

Comment

Working...
                    X