• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice please, taking on a contract for a second income

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice please, taking on a contract for a second income

Ok, to give a bit of background, I formed my own ltd last year as I was looking to start contracting, however the oppourtunity to break into IB came along through a fixed term contract involving direct employment, I intend to stay in the sector after the fixed term has ended.

Now I have also secured a weekend moves & changes contract at another bank, my main employment is obviously PAYE (probably until November) I will be providing this weekend service on a ad-hoc basis and I don't believe I fall foul of IR35 on this.

I am not earning above the higher rate tax threshold at the moment (although this contract could tip me over it), I have my ltd co ready to go and my business account set up, if it was you in my shoes how would you operate your payment mechanism?

IB doesn't pay a permie enough to get into the higher rate bracket?

But to answer the question, just pay yourself dividends from yourco for whatever money you make.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Pay the money into your LTD and leave it there.

Your tax burden doesn't increase and if I remember correctly during the first year of trading you can probably get away with paying no corp tax (talk to an accountant though)

Comment

I work in support with no previous IB experience.

Unfortunately I could do with the extra income so I can't keep it in the company, is it feasible to pay entirely dividends?

Comment

Originally posted by Yatesy
          I work in support with no previous IB experience.

Unfortunately I could do with the extra income so I can't keep it in the company, is it feasible to pay entirely dividends?

It is but is not the best way to do it.

Take a minimal salary from the ltd, plus your expenses. Then take divi's up to the tax limit. Won't be much if you have a permie salary as well but it all helps. This way you pay no extra Income Tax until you go over the tax limit. At whch point you pay %25 on income over that ( IIRC ). Talk to an accountant, i'm sure they will be able to advice you exactly how to do it.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Entirely reasonable to pay it all out in divi's.

You don't need to take a wage as you have your main job. Taking a wage from your company will put you on a BR tax code as it is income from a second job which means you will then have to claim back tax at the end of the year, yadda yadda.

Much easier and less paperwork to just take divi's.

Comment

But you will end up paying CT on the money not taken out of the Co. as wages. 19% of 5 grand or so is worth doing some paperwork for.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

As I said earlier, you can prolly get away with paying no CT in your first year of trading.

Talk to your accountant.

Comment

Working...
                X