• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laser eye treatment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laser eye treatment

Going with the GF tonight for her first appointment, has anyone had this done ? any tips or questions we should be asking ?
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Originally posted by n5gooner View Post
    Going with the GF tonight for her first appointment, has anyone had this done ? any tips or questions we should be asking ?
    Will she still find you attractive after her eyesight is fixed?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

FFS, you're a Contractor. Can't you afford one with good eyes?

Comment

For what it's worth, unless you simply can't live with wearing specs, or using contacts, then why take the risk? It's surgery and unlike, say, teeth, eyes aren't replaceable.

I have spoken with 3 opticians about Laser treatment: each said it's still a young technology, can go wrong (though admittedly rarely), etc. Of course, other opticians will say it's as safe as safe can be... but I'm too cowardly to take the risk. Good luck!

Comment

Check the success rate, it's not 100% , aometimes it can make your eyesight worse. I'd also ask how long it lasts.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

There is some risk involved but I had this done 4 years ago and have never looked back. I had LASIK but apparently there are better ones available now. Had perfect vision in one eye straight away and the other took about a week to catch up (was a little blurry) and have great vision since, no dry eyes or any problems. It is just a personal choice and it worked for me.
            Wise Scout - Contract job search engine

Comment

Had mine done about 4 years ago. I had -5.5 in both eyes so almost blind as a bat, and just got sick of wearing contact lenses. Now got 20-20 in both eyes but must admit one eye is better than the other. So not 100% happy but beats the heck out of waking up and hunting for my glasses before I can see the clock or do anything else.

Laser eye surgery is one of those fields where you get what you pay for. Avoid the backstreet tattooist as they say. I went with Ultralase and was happy with their service.

The new technology is Wavefront - wish it was there when I got mine done. OK so it costs somewhat more but it's worth it - my colleague just had his done and gets none of the old problems... like starburst effects at night, dry eyes etc.

Your girl might have to live with dry eyes for life, but to be honest this is a very small problem anyway.

Tell her to be prepared for some major pain during the 12 hours after getting lasered.

Good luck.

EDIT 1: 2 of my aunts had eye correction when the technology was diamond based about 15 / 20 years ago. They're still fine too...

EDIT 2: This new forum is a painful process eh.

EDIT 3: Most opticians will try put you off laser correction because it puts them out of a job, eventually.

EDIT 4: OMG the forum just sped up.
              Last edited by ChimpMaster; 13 August 2007, 10:40.

Comment

Originally posted by blazzar View Post
                There is some risk involved but I had this done 4 years ago and have never looked back.
                Never looked back? I thought so! You've been blinded!

Comment

I am bit scared to get it done but hopefully one day I will go through with it so there are no more glasses for me.

Comment

I went to the Optician on the off chance, but he said he couldn't see me.

IGMC.

Comment

Working...
                    X