• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car insurance

So my renewal notice comes in, and it's like £25 more expensive than last year. On one hand I'm thinking "actually, that's not too bad", probably because I've been accustomed to receiving renewal quotes that jump up 20% in a year for no reason. On the other hand, I think "why has it gone up, I've not made any claims?".

So I hunt around, as one does, and find a quote £100 less, saving me 25%. And well chuffed I am. I go back to the original insurance company and they knock off only £80 immediately. I'm thinking like what's wrong with these people, first they try to rip me off and then they prove that they're trying to rip me off by knocking the price down so much. Quelle stupide ne c'est pas?

And then they expect me to accept the offer even though it's still more expensive than the other one I found.

Not to name and shame or fame, but the new company has the same first name as the Scouser team I support. The old company, well that's just a big fat smelly jungle animal.

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    And then they expect me to accept the offer even though it's still more expensive than the other one I found.
    This is of course completely wrong and unethnical of the insurance company.

A bit like the next time your contract renewal comes up, and you ask for a rate increase, only to be knocked back and take the amount on offer.

Comment

My Direct Line insurances (one for me, one for the wife) have remained the same over the last couple of years.

Barclays home insurance tried a 20% hike this year. A phone call and a reduction was forthcoming. So what about those who didn't phone up?

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
        So what about those who didn't phone up?
        This is where they make their money. I know so many lazy people that don't bother to shop around. It's so easy these days with moneysupermarket and gocompare etc.

I even remember people a few years ago that remained on their high rate variable mortgages even when mortgage rates went as low as 4%. They just couldn't be arsed to re-mo.

Comment

There is an interesting statistic (sorry, can't remember the value) that a large number of people just renew automatically.

Hence, the insurers 'try it on'.

It's always worth spending 15 - 20 mins looking at alternatives and then going back to your current provider to see if they will adjust their figure.

P.S. Was with L&V a few years ago - very good svc, great policy and UK call centres.

Comment

every year my direct line insurance for car comes in and is expensive so every year i look around and so far for the last 8 years i have got it cheaper by going onto Direct Line "On-line" entering exacetly the same details.

When i then phone up and speak to them and say you have sent through my renewal which is more expensive that what i can get off your website they simply say just renew via that method as it is a different part of the company that offer that price.

Doesn't bother me as it's easy to renew on line but otherwise i do think it is wrong for them to up the price when nothing has changed or no claim has been made
            Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

I'm now on direct debit and very nearly just put the renewal notice from Barclays in the all-done-and-dusted-for-another-year draw. Luckily I had remember how much it had cost the previous year. Sneaky buggers!

Comment

Always shop around. Churchill wanted £3000 to renew (just because I have a habit of totalling my cars). Admiral charged £500. No-brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by richard-af View Post
                  Always shop around. Churchill wanted £3000 to renew (just because I have a habit totalling my cars). Admiral charged £500. No-brainer.
                  Wait till the Admiral discovers that your "unmodified 1 litre Nissan Micra" is actually a
                  3 litre Ranger with a custom supercharger.

Comment

One year i was with Esure, and they had the automatic hike, shopped around and Halifax came up significantly cheaper. When the docs came through the address was the same as esure, The same company and the same office quoted less for the same policy.

Utter chunts
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X