• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Flat Rate Vat Scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Flat Rate Vat Scheme

Hi People,

I have had a few quiries regarding the Flat Rate Scheme, so i thought id use an example to show the benefit for some who use the scheme.

The flat rate scheme allows you to calculate the amount of your VAT payment as a flat rate percentage of your vat inclusive turnover.

The percentage that you can use is decided according to the trade sector your business is in, which for IT contractors is 13%.

You will have to charge your clients 17.5% VAT on your net fees but the amount you pay to HM Customs is calculated on your VAT inclusive fees multiplied by your given sector percentage.

For example:

Your net fees - £10,000

VAT @ 17.5% - £1,750

Gross invoice amount - £11,750

Under the normal Vat arrangements you would then have to pay £1,750 to HM Customs.

If you use the flat rate scheme and had been given a sector percentage of 13% you would pay the following to HM Customs:

Gross invoiced amount * Sector percentage = £11,750 *13% = £1,527.50

SO......

Under the flat rate scheme you would therefore be better financially as you retain £222.50 of your output VAT in the business.

The scheme is open to all VAT registered business with an annual turnover (excluding VAT) of £150,000 or less.

Finally, in your first year of VAT registration you would be entitled to a 1% discount on your normal sector % making the benefit greater in your first year (i.e. in the example above, the rate to use would be 12%)

Hope it helps

Thanks,

DB3

Whats the percentag for all the industriesm out of interest?

Comment

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...HMCE_CL_000345

Section 4.3

Comment

Originally posted by DB3 View Post
        Hi People,

I have had a few quiries regarding the Flat Rate Scheme, so i thought id use an example to show the benefit for some who use the scheme.
        DB3
        Hi. Would you care to introduce yourself? Or give us some clue as to why you are presenting this information, which is admittedly not very abstruse and has been well explained on this site already?

Yes, I know, you are just trying to be helpful. But when you say YOU have had a few inquiries regarding the flat rate scheme, do you mean in your capacity as a poster on CUK? Or perhaps in your capacity as an accountant??
        Wissen ist Macht, aber nichts wissen macht nichts.

Comment

Originally posted by DB3 View Post
          Hi People,

The flat rate scheme allows you to calculate the amount of your VAT payment as a flat rate percentage of your vat inclusive turnover.

The percentage that you can use is decided according to the trade sector your business is in, which for IT contractors is 13%.

You will have to charge your clients 17.5% VAT on your net fees but the amount you pay to HM Customs is calculated on your VAT inclusive fees multiplied by your given sector percentage.

For example:

Your net fees - £10,000

VAT @ 17.5% - £1,750

Gross invoice amount - £11,750

Under the normal Vat arrangements you would then have to pay £1,750 to HM Customs.

If you use the flat rate scheme and had been given a sector percentage of 13% you would pay the following to HM Customs:

Gross invoiced amount * Sector percentage = £11,750 *13% = £1,527.50

SO......

Under the flat rate scheme you would therefore be better financially as you retain £222.50 of your output VAT in the business.

The scheme is open to all VAT registered business with an annual turnover (excluding VAT) of £150,000 or less.

Finally, in your first year of VAT registration you would be entitled to a 1% discount on your normal sector % making the benefit greater in your first year (i.e. in the example above, the rate to use would be 12%)

Hope it helps

Thanks,

DB3
          Can you not just get a blog and stick this stuff in there? Much better than sticking it in a forum.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

"IT contractors "

Not all folk on here fall into this category - I myself am a Business Management Consultant - it's 12.5.% !!
            Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Computer Repair Services are 11% !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
                Computer Repair Services are 11% !!!!!
                Food suppliers pay 6%, I think.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Food suppliers pay 6%, I think.

yes, but these is a chance of some of us being classed as "repairers" whereas I don't think anyone qualifies as a food supplier...

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
                    yes, but these is a chance of some of us being classed as "repairers" whereas I don't think anyone qualifies as a food supplier...
                    I bring my lunch into work - does that not count?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X