• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Divi's - to spend or not to spend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Divi's - to spend or not to spend

I'm just starting to look at options for where to put (savings, investments etc) my first year's divi's and just wondered what most people did with theirs - fast cars and women, houses and pensions or somewhere inbetween?!

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
    I'm just starting to look at options for where to put (savings, investments etc) my first year's divi's and just wondered what most people did with theirs - fast cars and women, houses and pensions or somewhere inbetween?!
    Offset mortgage. Get rid of the debt first, then go spending.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You need to stash away some money for your old age, unless you think that the current generation of young pikeys are actually going to massage the economy enough to give you a state pension.

Comment

Pay off mortgage / debt (not that you should have any if you've been contracting for a few years already)

Buy Maxi-ISAs - Asia / BRIC / Middle East (UAE/Dubai)

FTSE 100 stocks with good yields - Lloyds/Barclays/HBOS/GSK for example

National savings certificates - tax free up to 30k, i.e. 15k per issue

Premium bonds - again tax free but only worth it if you put in max 30k

Cash in high interest account

Comment

The contracting market is due a slump. Reduce fixed costs first; mortgage etc, get yourself a 10 or 20K float to cover you for when things aren't going so well, invest as per TazMan's post.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            The contracting market is due a slump. Reduce fixed costs first; mortgage etc, get yourself a 10 or 20K float to cover you for when things aren't going so well, invest as per TazMan's post.
            Wise words. Always have a buffer.
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Definitely can't support the buffer suggestion enough - I try and keep a year's living around. Don't want to have to panic and take a naff contract.

Comment

drugs & women
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Working...
                X