PDA

View Full Version : Snacks of Yesteryear

Clippy
15th August 2007, 11:46
Not sure about Football Crazies, but I do remember the Nik Nak Scampi & Lemon debacle.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/food/2007/08/give_us_back_our_crisps.html#more

They don't make 'em like they used to.
(Clippy in fat b*stard mode).

BoredBloke
15th August 2007, 11:49
I remember football crazies. They were made out of the stuff they make wotsits out of, were round and bacon flavoured. I loved them.

daviejones
15th August 2007, 11:50
Texan Bars.....yum yum...

BoredBloke
15th August 2007, 11:58
has anybody noticed that they have changed the flavour of the black midget gems - the ones which nobody liked but the reason I used to buy them. Bugger!

BA to the Stars
15th August 2007, 12:08
Whats with changing the black sports mixture to blackcurrent flavour - if it ain't broke, don't fix it

richard-af
15th August 2007, 12:11
Rancheros. Very nice.

Burdock
15th August 2007, 12:36
Twists.

salt n vinegar spirals

myumm!!!

Xenophon
15th August 2007, 12:41
Wham bars. If you chewed one of those carelessly, you lost a tooth.

thunderlizard
15th August 2007, 12:48
Pacers - stripy mint chewy things.
And i'm sure there used to be things like crisps, made out of potato but in the shape of little pigs.

BoredBloke
15th August 2007, 12:50
"Whats with changing the black sports mixture to blackcurrent flavour - if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Part of the whole midget gems thing. Sports and Midget Gems were owned by Lion. They were bought by the people who make Wine Gums - Maynards I think!

When I was a kid, the woman who owned the sweetshop outside our school would fish out the black midget gems for me as nobody else liked them.

richard-af
15th August 2007, 12:54
Used to able to buy a cracker, a Dairy Lea-ish cheese traingle, and a silverskin onion, all packaged-up. For 30p. Came with a Chip Shop-like fork, too. Quality.

ctdctd
15th August 2007, 14:14
Spangles.

Five Boys Chocolate bar.

Fry's Chocolate Egg... (marzipan inside)... mmmmmmmmmmmm...

Ugh - sorry, but marzipan is SO wrong:-(

Marks and Sparks Spring Onion crisps in the big bags:tongue

Pondlife
15th August 2007, 14:18
Part of the whole midget gems thing. Sports and Midget Gems were owned by Lion. They were bought by the people who make Wine Gums - Maynards I think!

Aye, All part of Cadbury Trebor Bassett.

IIRC they also still make the sherbert & lollipop combos

richard-af
15th August 2007, 14:19
Seabrooks make the best crisps.

Churchill
15th August 2007, 14:23
Maybe it wasn't marzipan as such, it was sort of coconutty stuff... much better than creme eggs.

I used to like the eggs that had a couple of pieces of marshmallow seperated by some soft caramel. Splendid straight out of the freezer!!!

Burdock
15th August 2007, 14:23
Maybe it wasn't marzipan as such, it was sort of coconutty stuff... much better than creme eggs.

mmm...sounds wonderful Zeity! I'm gonna see if I can get one on eBay :freaky:

BoredBloke
15th August 2007, 14:45
"I used to like the eggs that had a couple of pieces of marshmallow seperated by some soft caramel. Splendid straight out of the freezer!!!"

So brown eggs with chewy bits in them. Sure they were not those eggs the dog laid!

Clippy
15th August 2007, 15:05
Can anyone remember the name of the Cadbury's chocolate that used to contain honeycomb pieces - similar to crunchie but in a block size as opposed to a bar.

richard-af
15th August 2007, 15:19
Can anyone remember the name of the Cadbury's chocolate that used to contain honeycomb pieces - similar to crunchie but in a block size as opposed to a bar.

"Tooth Cavity Finder", I think.

Lockhouse
15th August 2007, 15:32

Goldmine

As seen here (http://tv.cream.org/specialassignments/bestbefore/arksweet.htm)

EternalOptimist
15th August 2007, 16:03
mmm marathon bar

these were gtreat till they became 'snickers'
still waiting for mars bars to become 'snunderpants'

I used to love those little sherbert flying saucers

who remembers 'sticky lice'

ahhhhhh

:rolleyes:

fzbucks
16th August 2007, 07:29
Pacers - stripy mint chewy things.
And i'm sure there used to be things like crisps, made out of potato but in the shape of little pigs.

they were called pigglets and were very nice

fzbucks
16th August 2007, 07:31
Used to able to buy a cracker, a Dairy Lea-ish cheese traingle, and a silverskin onion, all packaged-up. For 30p. Came with a Chip Shop-like fork, too. Quality.

still see them hung on cards in pubs behind the bar - used to sell well in my dads pub - they were the drinking mans pub lunch

fzbucks
16th August 2007, 07:33
"I used to like the eggs that had a couple of pieces of marshmallow seperated by some soft caramel. Splendid straight out of the freezer!!!"

So brown eggs with chewy bits in them. Sure they were not those eggs the dog laid!

never see the white dog eggs anymore either

richard-af
16th August 2007, 08:35
never see the white dog eggs anymore either

Or those with lolly sticks and spent matches stuck into them, to make a dog turd hedgehog. Ah! Yesteryear!