• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Presentation advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presentation advice

I've been roped into doing a presentation to around 30 people next month, which is great . . . except that I'm pretty poor at public speaking.

I'm pretty sure I'll start talking like a footballer "It's like, you know, basically, ummmmm" & will need to constantly drink water to rehydrate my parched mouth. Hopefully I won't be shaking like a tulipting dog!

So, any tips on improving my presentation skills & coming over as a sane person?!

I've got a month to get it together, so I'll make sure I know the topic well enough, but it's my personal presentation style I need to concentrate on a little more.

make sure you practice it a number of times, get others in your workplace to act as a "crowd" and give you any tips.

use cue cards if possible instead of just reading out sheets of a4
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Follow the basic 3 rules

1) Tell them what you're going to talk about
      2) Talk about what you came to talk about
      3) Summarise what you've just talked about

Oh, and try not to use humour or wise cracks - guaranteed to bomb

Comment

Join Toastmasters International and practice for hours in front of friends and family. Takes years to get it right. You haven't got a prayer. Sorry.

Comment

Any chance you can set up a web cam to we can see it as well. Uhm I mean, any chance you can set up a web cam so you can use us as practise audience
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
            make sure you practice it a number of times, get others in your workplace to act as a "crowd" and give you any tips.
            Get them to heckle you too! Just for the practice!!

Ah no, you'll be grand, just take it easy, don't rush and you will be fine!
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

You could break the ice with a knob gag.

Comment

Do things a bit different - wear a clowns outfit or come on in a Groucho Marx stylee.

Comment

Speak slowly, clearly and for fecks sake remember to breath.

Know your audience and topic.

Start by planning the end of your speech and work backwards.

Break a leg.
                  (No, really, break a leg. Let some other fecker give the presentation!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                    Do things a bit different - wear a clowns outfit or come on in a Groucho Marx stylee.
                    Or Hitler. Be bold!

Comment

Working...
                    X