• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B - From working in B&Q to £53m in a 10 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B - From working in B&Q to £53m in a 10 years

The buy-to-let landlord

Greg Heywood, 41, from Liverpool, owns 150 properties worth £53 million. But he hasn't always been this wealthy - in fact, 10 years ago he was sleeping on his mate's floor. "I had been through a messy divorce, which had left me saddled with debts that I couldn't repay, my bank had closed my account and I was being threatened with jail," explains Greg.

He was working at B&Q and decided to throw himself into his job, which resulted in several pay rises. "I started to repay my debts and get back on track," says Greg. "I'd really hit rock bottom, so I vowed that I would be rich enough to have a £1 million annual income by the time I was 40."

Three years after his divorce, Greg was able to take out a mortgage and bought a small property in Brackley, Northamptonshire for £80,000. He sold it shortly after and made £26,000 profit.

Risky business

"I started to move quite quickly after that and went on to buy property after property, stretching myself to the hilt and taking huge risks." Soon Greg owned 12 properties in Milton Keynes, which he rented out. "I kept going at an aggressive pace, with the view that if I was going to go bankrupt for £2 million it might as well be for £20 million."

Greg says commitment is the key to his success. "Managing property takes a lot of hard work. I know of landlords who sell up because they can't keep up with their tenant's demands. But it's a two-way relationship and I think success is about providing a valuable service to tenants. It's very demanding, but it's also great fun."

He who dares Rodders, he who dares.

DP = Del Boy.

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Property must be the only game where you count as a "millionaire" when you've got £1,000,000 assets and £950,000 debts.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
        Property must be the only game where you count as a "millionaire" when you've got £1,000,000 assets and £950,000 debts.
        It's great isn't it? Borrow £53M and become John Smith aged 40, worth £53M, overnight.

Comment

And here is the man himself: http://www.gregheywood.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            The buy-to-let landlord
            He who dares Rodders, he who dares.
            Some dare and win. Some do the same and lose. Stupid to imply that daring is all it takes.
            Wissen ist Macht, aber nichts wissen macht nichts.

Comment

Originally posted by Methuselah View Post
              Some dare and win. Some do the same and lose. Stupid to imply that daring is all it takes.
              It's all random.

HTH
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

His story is often emailed around by these financial spreadbetting is the answer type companies

Comment

Working...
                X