• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Vancouver

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Vancouver

Hello! I'm new around here so please be gentle...

I've been contracting in London for about 2 years but am now thinking of working in Vancouver for a while. Has anyone had experience working there? What was it like (both as a place to live and in terms of contract work)?
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Originally posted by beaker View Post
    Hello! I'm new around here so please be gentle...

I've been contracting in London for about 2 years but am now thinking of working in Vancouver for a while. Has anyone had experience working there? What was it like (both as a place to live and in terms of contract work)?
    A former boss of mine emigrated there. Neither he, nor his wife, have even thought of returning. House in own secluded woodland, own stream, good schools, etc. Work a plenty. If I wasn't so hung up on history, I'd be there myself. Hence, off to France, for me.

Comment

Originally posted by richard-af View Post
      A former boss of mine emigrated there. Neither he, nor his wife, have even thought of returning. House in own secluded woodland, own stream, good schools, etc. Work a plenty. If I wasn't so hung up on history, I'd be there myself. Hence, off to France, for me.
      Didn't work for Barclays did he?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        Didn't work for Barclays did he?
        No - a City Council. Loves it. Work's interesting. Reasonable pay. Own private Eden to go home to. The bastard!

Comment

Originally posted by richard-af View Post
          The bastard!
          Indeed... I worked in Vancouver in the 80's...and was offered an sponsorship deal to emigrate.. feck feck feckity feck- I regret now that I didn't take it up.

It will always remain my favourite city (that I have visited) in the world....for any young man/woman contemplating going (and I keep telling my kids they should emigrate there) I say go for it - it is a fabulous city/country
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

If I could live anywhere in the world it would be Vancouver. Need to start investigating the work situation.

Comment

Do it. You'll regret it otherwise.

Comment

I regularily get it in the ear from the wife that we still live here.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Thanks guys... you're helping to convince me. I have visited too an loved it - the missus loves it too. Such a spectacular and friendly place. I've only got a few years left to get a working holiday visa so gotta make my mind up or else settle down here of bugger off back to Oz.

richard-af - what's keeping you here and why are you off to France?
                  Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    I regularily get it in the ear from the wife that we still live here.
                    My wife and I recently decided, for the last time (always backtracked, until this time) to live in France.

Not perfect, nowhere is, but better... at least for us. We fianally realized that staying put would bite us in the bum when we were oldies, with the old "Why didn't we give it a try?" question.

Comment

Working...
                    X