• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Story on BBC - Indian IT Consultant comes to UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Story on BBC - Indian IT Consultant comes to UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6947910.stm

Quiet and clean streets, 4x4 cars and high-rise buildings form the first impressions of an IT consultant who comes to the UK from India. It's not like in Dickens, he tells his brother in a series of e-mails that chart his progress in making a new life with his family.

Vish Madughiri moved to the UK from Bangalore in 2003. He arrived with his son Akshay in Birmingham, where his wife Leela had settled some months earlier.

A series of e-mails to his brother over a number of years reveals how getting a job was not as easy as he thought, and he feels the pull of his homeland as it undergoes an economic boom.

Today hasn't been a great day. I've spent ages trying to find the best place to help me find a job. When I first arrived I followed the same plan I would have done back in Bangalore. I went to find a headhunter. Unfortunately, I had no idea where the headhunters for the computer industry were, especially in a place as quiet as Solihull.

Anyway, after weeks of trawling around various job centres, I eventually found out that they aren't where I should be looking for an executive job. Sometimes it's so frustrating: if you come here on your own, no-one tells you anything! It's like you're just expected to know where to turn.

So how did he get a work permit and if he has lost his job, shouldn't he be going home? Or can anyone come here, sign on and look for work?

Just wondered like.
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 16 August 2007, 08:21.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Or can anyone come here, sign on and look for work?
    Seems to be the way it works.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Where does it say that he signs on?
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I think I've figured it out.

I reckon his wife is British born (arranged marriage) and hence he is free to live and work in the UK.

Otherwise, surely he could not just come over from India and start scouring Job Centres for 3 years looking for IT work? Would an employer not ask to see a work permit, or doesn't that happen here?

Comment

Nope...we let everyone in, give them a house and money and then ask no questions.!!!
          "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
            Nope...we let everyone in, give them a house and money and then ask no questions.!!!
            You forgot the instant access to the NHS
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              You forgot the instant access to the NHS
              Sorry, was in a hurry...

Is it just me or do his emails not seem real? What was he expecting?
              "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Hasn't he gone in the wrong direction? Has he not complained that everything is a rip off?
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

"There aren't many of us in India and Akshay and I have been the odd ones out in the family for long enough, thank you!"

He's asking for trouble!

Comment

HSMP (Highly Skilled Migrants Programme) Visa is what most ppl come on so that they are not restricted to one employer. Its like a work permit on steroids.

Comment

Working...
                    X