PDA

View Full Version : The 'Are you in contract?' Poll

Xenophon
16th August 2007, 15:30
One of Sandy's posts made me think that I haven't seen a 'are you working?' poll for a while. So here is one.

Ruprect
16th August 2007, 15:31
I am Andy W

richard-af
16th August 2007, 15:31
Yes.

Xenophon
16th August 2007, 15:32
I am Andy W
:yay:

SandyDown
16th August 2007, 15:32
Was on the bench for 3 weeks. Just got an offer, will start in one week's time.

Thanks for asking

Robster
16th August 2007, 15:33
I am but on the lookout for something new.

btw Hi I'm new

Xenophon
16th August 2007, 15:34
Was on the bench for 3 weeks. Just got an offer, will start in one week's time.

Thanks for asking

Congrats!:happy

fzbucks
16th August 2007, 15:36
phew I happened to choose the one that was most popular - might have got banned otherwise

ok i've whinged about it enough now:laugh

Xenophon
16th August 2007, 15:38
phew I happened to choose the one that was most popular - might have got banned otherwise

ok i've whinged about it enough now:laugh

If you are looking for the other right-on hippies, they are all in a field next to Heathrow Airport.

Ho ho ho.

realityhack
16th August 2007, 15:39
I am but on the lookout for something new.

btw Hi I'm new
Hi Robster. :wave:

TheFaQQer
16th August 2007, 15:41
In contract, but gave notice last week as I'm sick of it - location is completely different from where I was meant to be, meaning I'm out of pocket substantially.

14 days to go...

Muttley08
16th August 2007, 15:55
In contract, but gave notice last week as I'm sick of it - location is completely different from where I was meant to be, meaning I'm out of pocket substantially.

14 days to go...

Don't you just hate it when you've handed notice in have to hang around - days feel like weeks, and all the things that were getting on your nerves get worse?

fzbucks
16th August 2007, 15:57
If you are looking for the other right-on hippies, they are all in a field next to Heathrow Airport.

Ho ho ho.

wouldn't be seen dead with those lefty loonies - they stifle progression can't see why you associate being a bit miffed about a forum banning someone and some hippies trying to disrupt an airport expansion

Muttley08
16th August 2007, 15:59
Reminds me of some work I did with the Stansted extension project...

Had people being shot at by farmers near the airport - got a bit scary for a while

NickFitz
16th August 2007, 17:04
My last contract, which had been renewed without fail every 8 weeks for nearly two years, came up for review the same week that the client reported a significant fall in profits. I'd been working from home for ages, and it was only on the following Tuesday lunchtime that I found out it hadn't been renewed - the pimp thought the client had told me, the client thought the pimp had :rolleyes:

I was going to a conference later that week anyway and finished up landing a lucrative pimp-free contract with a trophy client over a few pints in the pub afterwards :banana:

SandyDown
16th August 2007, 17:07
My last contract, which had been renewed without fail every 8 weeks for nearly two years, came up for review the same week that the client reported a significant fall in profits. I'd been working from home for ages, and it was only on the following Tuesday lunchtime that I found out it hadn't been renewed - the pimp thought the client had told me, the client thought the pimp had :rolleyes:

I was going to a conference later that week anyway and finished up landing a lucrative pimp-free contract with a trophy client over a few pints in the pub afterwards :banana:

Just curious. How come it takes you over two years to write bits of code or in fact any other deliverable? or are you in support and maintenance?

forgot to say congrats :)

NickFitz
16th August 2007, 17:18
Just curious. How come it takes you over two years to write bits of code or in fact any other deliverable? or are you in support and maintenance?

I'm a web applications developer. The project I initially went there to work on ran on quite a bit longer than expected (8 months total) because several of their top people left at the same time and the remaining team members had to do all the new stuff while keeping lots of existing stuff working.

After that they kept me on to work (from home, usually) on a procession of further smaller projects; they just couldn't bear to say good bye, I suppose :laugh

forgot to say congrats :)

SandyDown
16th August 2007, 17:24
NickFitz: good for you, which industry to you work in? don't think I can get away with a website delivery taking 2 years to be delivered in the finance industry !

Work from home is grand, you are so lucky, would love to work from home sometime - arsehole bankers wont let me :mad

NickFitz
16th August 2007, 17:41
NickFitz: good for you, which industry to you work in? don't think I can get away with a website delivery taking 2 years to be delivered in the finance industry !

Actually it was 34 websites driven by one overarching system - it was a large commercial radio operator, and the sites were for a load of their local radio stations. Current contract is with an international company whose name ends with an exclamation mark, but I probably shouldn't say any more :wink

Work from home is grand, you are so lucky, would love to work from home sometime - arsehole bankers wont let me :mad

It is great for the most part, although sometimes it's nice to get in to the office and catch up with people in meatspace as well - just for a day or two, nothing excessive.

Never worked in the financial sector, so my only experience of having my day ruined by bankers is in the field of bounced cheques and withdrawn overdraft facilities :tantrum:

Still, not much chance of that these days :banana:

Robster
7th September 2007, 14:05
Maybe people's On Bench/Working status could be added as forum a profile field.

any thoughts?

FiveTimes
10th September 2007, 07:47
Less that 2 weeks to go on the current gig, there have been talks about renewal but nothing yet.
If things don't get sorted out soon then a couple of weeks on the bench :eek

wendigo100
10th September 2007, 08:42
Can you update replies in a poll? I'm not AndyW any more, but gainfully working.

wendigo100
10th September 2007, 08:43
Actually I never really voted for AndyW, but the question still holds...

TheFaQQer
10th September 2007, 08:45
Having answered "Yes", now it's a "no" - until agency can sort out the paperwork that details where I'm working, for how long, and for how much.

Contract is already in place, they just can't sort out the paperwork for an extension after it ran out on Friday. Spoke to them Thursday and they said "we'll try and get the paperwork sorted, but we're a bit busy at the moment..."

Client will not be happy, since deadline is this Friday, started work on this piece on Friday with a nine day estimate, and I'm not there!

Cowboy Bob
10th September 2007, 19:41
Still in contract for another 3 weeks. Started looking for the next gig today...

chef
11th September 2007, 10:12
wooohoooo,

2 days in looking and contract is signed 'n' sent

3 months, Soho based, telecoms/broadband provider

only downside is the trudge down into the big smoke, i never miss the smell of armpits on the morning tube :sick

VectraMan
11th September 2007, 10:34
Three months left. I thought it was going to end early, but it now seems they want to keep me and likely offer an extension. I've not decided whether I feel that's good news or bad.

Churchill
11th September 2007, 10:43
Where's the "I'm too old to be a contractor" option?

Svalbaard
11th September 2007, 10:47
Yes, since Feb - and have just had my extension come through.